PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] help needed for first time ubuntu user

mkris23
October 12th, 2009, 03:34 PM
hi.

i recently bought a new compaq cq60-209tu laptop which is presently running windows vista (32 bit). i wanted to install ubuntu and remove vista completely. i downloaded the karmic koala beta version and booted from the cd. everything seems to be working fine. the webcam, the internet and the wifi (i read that people had trouble with this), even the bluetooth. the touchpad seems to be working as well. everything except the function key.

is there any chance that once i install ubuntu completely, all the above mentioned stuff will stop working? is this working only because i have these drivers installed in vista. i've heard that people have trouble getting ubuntu to work on the compaq cq60. this includes wifi and touchpad problems.

thanks,
mk

kiridude
October 12th, 2009, 03:36 PM
If it works with the cd, it will work installed. That's why there is the live cd option - to see how it will be when installed. In fact, it will work better installed as you will be able to tweak it and add all the extras you want.

Vista is out of the picture when running the live cd

mkris23
October 12th, 2009, 05:21 PM
so, if i install the beta version now, do i need to download the final version seperately or is an upgrade available within the os itself?? or is it better to wait for the full release?

wojox
October 12th, 2009, 05:29 PM
You can install now and update and upgrade. Even after the final is released there will still be updates and upgrades.

kiridude
October 12th, 2009, 05:30 PM
9.10 is still in testing. I would recommend you install 9.04 and upgrade to 9.10 when the stable version comes out someday around the end of this month. the upgrade process is very easy.

shredder12
October 12th, 2009, 06:17 PM
ya installing 9.04 would be a safe bet but if the beta version of 9.10 is working properly on your system it is a fair chance that it will work well after the installatin..
and you can update after the stable release and upgrade your system..

mkris23
October 12th, 2009, 07:44 PM
okay guys, i'm gonna give it a shot at installing after i back up all my data. thanks a lot. hope this works out.