PDA

View Full Version : You havn't tried a synthesizer...

Perfect Storm
October 12th, 2009, 02:56 PM
...if you havn't tried one of these.

:popcorn:

Guess they aren't stage friendly.

coldReactive
October 12th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Only synth I've ever laid my hands on was for MIDI, and that was all done by the OS ( Win98 ) for me.

Guess I'm too young (22) to be a cool guy.

forrestcupp
October 12th, 2009, 03:03 PM
The one on the right looks like a giant version of one of those Radio Shack 200 in One electronic project kits.

http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/magisterrex/200inOneLabFront.jpg

bodyharvester
October 12th, 2009, 03:03 PM
:shock:
are those the predecessors of what "modern" pop bands and layabout whatnots use?

and what would they have been used for? it reminds me of church organs:)

Perfect Storm
October 12th, 2009, 03:18 PM
:shock:
are those the predecessors of what "modern" pop bands and layabout whatnots use?

and what would they have been used for? it reminds me of church organs:)

Aye, It wouldn't have been easy to quickly switch sound on one of these.

Imagine a manual would look like :shock:

Странник
October 12th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I love such machines

handy
October 12th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I used to play a mini moog in the early 70's. You had to have transparent templates that you dropped over the controls to help you find the sounds that you wanted, due to the obviously huge number of variables available.

They were good fun, but you really had to be good to get great sound, as opposed to just different sound out of the things.

Everyone was stoned, so they were an easy audience. ;)

[Edit:] I still have my "Tonto's Expanding Head Band" LP. :)

BobLand
October 12th, 2009, 09:02 PM
The one on the right is an old modular Emu. I was an east coast distributor for a while. They were very big, heavy and expensive. Prior to that I owned and used an Arp 2600.

Nice to know that you can download one onto your computer that will do tons more than these old monsters.

markbuntu
October 13th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Keith Emerson (ELP) used to use a monster like one of those for live performances, so did Rick Wakeman (Yes) and Bian Eno (Roxy Music), It was amazing what they would do, changing patches with one hand while playing a keyboard with the other. Keyboard playing was a lot more physical back then, at least for them.