PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Migration Assistant WinXP to Ubuntu 9.04

s1mp13m4n
October 12th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Hello everyone. I just upgraded my mother's PC from WinXP to Ubuntu 9.04. I wanted to keep her pictures, My Docs, etc. I did the GUI install and had Ubuntu use the entire 40GB hard drive thus making it a Linux only install. Where does the migration assistant come in to play? How do I get that data on Ubuntu? Thanks for the help.

VMC
October 12th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Since you used the entire hard drive, where is xp now? I haven't used migration before but why not just mount the xp, if its on an external hard drive and just copy the files over. Ubuntu can easily read ntfs file system.

s1mp13m4n
October 12th, 2009, 03:04 PM
WinXP was on the internal 40GB drive, WinXP was messed up and would not boot. I did not have a legal copy of WinXP to put back on the computer. I downloaded and installed Ubuntu 9.04 on the same 40GB internal drive that had the WinXP install on it. When I did the Ubuntu install it did not ask me to import anything at all before it performed the partition and install. If this is the case then it would seem that I have lost that data...therefor making me a Windows user again and giving up on Linux. :( Hmmmm, what is my next move? Thank you for the help. :)

ISTech9700
October 12th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I'm fairly new to Ubuntu but I would say your assessment of the data being gone is correct. If you used the entire hard drive for your linux partition I'm assuming it was formatted before install. Why would this make you go back to Windows? Ubuntu is not to blame for this error. I would imagine you need a working Windows install to use that migration assistant or at the very least a windows partition.

This is a good teaching lesson for backing up your user files and media to a DVD-R or flash drive.

s1mp13m4n
October 12th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Thank you for the help. The reason I said that was because to my limited knowledge Ubuntu has a migration assistant which in this case did not work. I will take 95% of the blame but I have to put 5% of it on the installer not working like it should. Yes I am a newbie but in such cases it should have more hand holding for situations like this. I know hardcare Linux fan will probably call me names, but I am an everyday user not a hardcore command line guy. It is just like Windows system restore, it is far from perfect as it does not work like it should...and as I just found out...neither does the migration assistant. I is just a downer thats all. :) All is not lost...the data was mainly backed up cell phone pics done with BitPim. Mom just wanted to keep her pics. :)

louieb
October 12th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Don't use the computer - the more you use it - the less chance of recovery.

Get a SystemRescueCd (http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page) or PartedMagicCD (http://partedmagic.com/wiki/PartedMagic.php?n=Main.PartedMagic) both have programs testdisk and photorec you'll need an external drive and several hours of time but photorec may be able to recover most of the lost photos. Instructions here TestDisk - CGSecurity (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk)

ISTech9700
October 13th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Thank you for the help. The reason I said that was because to my limited knowledge Ubuntu has a migration assistant which in this case did not work. I will take 95% of the blame but I have to put 5% of it on the installer not working like it should. Yes I am a newbie but in such cases it should have more hand holding for situations like this. I know hardcare Linux fan will probably call me names, but I am an everyday user not a hardcore command line guy. It is just like Windows system restore, it is far from perfect as it does not work like it should...and as I just found out...neither does the migration assistant. I is just a downer thats all. :) All is not lost...the data was mainly backed up cell phone pics done with BitPim. Mom just wanted to keep her pics. :)

I agree with that...there should be some inclusion in the installer. I don't know if it would have helped you in this case though without a working windows partition. If the data is something important and you want to try to recover it then follow the post above me. I just assumed you didn't want to take the time for those options.

dreza
October 13th, 2009, 05:49 PM
How can you blame Linux and the migration assistant for your mistake? How did you expect it to transfer the files before installing linux or after formating windows?

If you have files your worried about go to walmart and buy a Western Digital My Book Essential 1TB. Its an external HDD with 1TB of space for $99. Simply keep everything back up there and you wont have to worry about losing anything on the computer.