PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubutu 8.10 new install problem with keyboard

danfs
October 12th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I have just installed Ubuntu8.10 to a usb external hard drive. I have several issues. this is the 1st time I have tried linux. When I 1st put it up I selected the std USA keyboard. I have a HP zd7140us laptop. The numeric keyboard portion is not recognized. I have gone to systems preferences and tried to pick one that looke like it might work and have not found one. I looked at the hardware web site for this particular model and did not see any notes on it. The wireless will not work. The light never comes on when I boot up. There was something about this but it was unclear to me. The last item is when I installed it the Ubuntu repartitioned (probably my error) the entire disk that was not in use as an Ubuntu partition. Would I be better off redoing the installation completely? How can you do this? I can repartition the hard drive in XP which is still functioning but I suspect that might give me boot up problems.

hal10000
October 12th, 2009, 01:51 PM
The numeric keyboard portion is not recognized.
Did you press the [NUM] key?. In the settings it can be configured to lock this key on login.

The wireless will not work
Can you tell anything about manufacturer and/or model of your card?
Open a terminal window and type:
lspci (if you have a pci wireless card)

or

lsusb (if your card is usb)

post the output of the command(s) here (you can mark the output with your mouse and paste it with the middle moude button)

he last item is when I installed it the Ubuntu repartitioned (probably my error) the entire disk that was not in use as an Ubuntu partition. Would I be better off redoing the installation completely? How can you do this? I can repartition the hard drive in XP which is still functioning but I suspect that might give me boot up problems

Post the output of the commands
mount and sudo fdisk -l (this is a lower-case L, not a one) so we can see how your harddisk is partitioned.