PDA

View Full Version : OOPS... I think I put my INTRODUCTION in the wrong place....

ConXtionS
October 12th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Re: Introductory Posting
Hi.... Im Jim and I am a TOTAL LINUX NOOB.....

Im on my third week using linux..... I would love to say that its been fun, but to be honest it is very frustrating so far and there have been many times I have looked over at my beloved windows copies...

However, I am getting older and I do love computers so I am trying.

I live in a small town called Williamsport Indiana... We are about 40 mins from Lafayette, and hour plus to the west side of Indy, and 2 hours from chicago, or pretty much smack dab in the middle all the way to the west side of Indiana.

Unlike many of the folks using Linux, I am not doing so out of some kind of windows hate.... I simply want to learn....

My progects for this winter are to build the MYTH TV system and then put it out at my camp ground this summer so I can have some dang TV! I also want to make a Server to house all of my precious tv shows and divy them out to the people I like. The camp ground is threatening to get high speed internet so I might also want to make a hot spot with a walled garden so I can control lil Johnny.

I was in the US Army and then an electrician and then I owned a small Wireless Internet Service for a few years.

I am bearing down on 50, disabled, kids are grown, wife has at least three boy friends, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 1 brother.....

Anyhow, I am hoping to make some linux buddies...

I hope that is enough of an intro???

Be well guys

Jim

Mike54
October 12th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Hi Jim! Welcome to you from another newbie wanting to learn.

I'm on the wrong side of 50, myself. One grown son, a beautiful granddaughter and there's a Persian cat that comes out to complain about being hungry every now and again. As for that wife business, I've had a couple of them and don't really care for another. ;)

The fellow that owns the tire shop there behind city hall is a good friend. We worked together for a dozen years or so.

ConXtionS
October 13th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Hi Jim! Welcome to you from another newbie wanting to learn.

I'm on the wrong side of 50, myself. One grown son, a beautiful granddaughter and there's a Persian cat that comes out to complain about being hungry every now and again. As for that wife business, I've had a couple of them and don't really care for another. ;)

The fellow that owns the tire shop there behind city hall is a good friend. We worked together for a dozen years or so.

Tire Mart is a great place....

ALONG LONG LONG time ago the owner and I use to race each other up at henrys..... I have no idea if he still races.... However, several times he has worked on our vehicles and espically with my truck has given us really good deals.... and you cant COMPARE to thier service in my mind.

I was kidding about my wife... 26 years together so far and I sill love her *****....

Is there anything I can do to help a fellow noob out???? and would it be to bold to ask what your projects are going to be????

great to me ya bro

Jim

Mike54
October 13th, 2009, 11:10 AM
He won the Street Stock championship up there this year. And sold the car immediately after the last race. He and I worked together at the speedway owner's other business.

I'm not really looking at using Ubuntu for any particular projects, I'm just using it as an alternative to Windows and OS X. I own some vBulletin forums and am on staff of a few more, so I spend more than my share of time online. And I really like to learn new things, so I'm looking forward to a new adventure getting to know my computer systems a bit better, along with learning more about Ubuntu along the way.

ConXtionS
October 13th, 2009, 08:38 PM
LOL he is still racing??????

I swear that man will never get old.

For me, it is easier to learn if I am forced to BUILD SOMETHING... I could easily do my project with a win server and to be honest I will probably end up going that way. So far linux has not been impressive for me.

I know.... I am sad faced too...

Jim