PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Ubuntuone client for Kubuntu 9.10?

kwokyinc
October 12th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Anyone know whether there will be a Ubuntuone client for Kubuntu in the coming 9.10 or in future release?

Kobalt
October 13th, 2009, 10:07 AM
It was discussed on the Ubuntu One mailing list to have one by the release of Karmic, but I never saw any updates regarding this topic. So far you'll have to install the Gnome client (and its Gnome dependencies).

arch0njw
October 13th, 2009, 12:28 PM
That would be awfully nice. It would help work against the sense of Kubuntu being the ignored step-child. But... it does clearly say "Ubuntu One" and not "Kubuntu One".

kwokyinc
October 14th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Looks like the developers have been focusing on adding new features like sync with evolution, tomboy to the service, rather than building a KDE client

I guess even if they later build a KDE client, it would lack, at least initially, these new features which are GNOME based services.

As ubuntuone is a free service, I have no reason to complain why a KDE client hasn't been developed. But to be honest this does make Kubuntu look like an ignored step-child.

joshuahoover
October 15th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Anyone know whether there will be a Ubuntuone client for Kubuntu in the coming 9.10 or in future release?

We've discussed doing it and would like to. Even better if we can get folks in the Kubuntu community to contribute something. We'd love to help others build more clients for more distros and operating systems. If you're interested and able, please contact me directly joshua.hoover at canonical dot com.

In the mean time, we're focusing on improving the core services we're launching with. Kubuntu users are advised to install the GNOME client package. I've done this and it worked well. I realize this isn't ideal for KDE users, but it does work.

Thank you,

Joshua Hoover

kwokyinc
October 16th, 2009, 03:37 AM
Joshua,

Thanks for you response. I am glad to know that a KDE client is still in the plan. I will post a link of this thread to the Kubuntu forum to see whether anyone there can contribute to the development of the KDE client.

I don't know programming but I will be very happy to help do testing of the KDE client when its ready.

kwokyinc
October 16th, 2009, 03:46 AM
Done.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3107031.0

NUboon2Age
July 2nd, 2010, 12:39 AM
Here's how i got Kubuntu (Lucid) working on UbuntuOne using the gnome client:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9535765#post9535765