PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Where did the weather applet go?

Robotman
October 12th, 2009, 06:03 AM
I've checked this out on both my Xubuntu systems, and the Xfce weather applet seems to be disappearing on me. I think it's the icon only that disappears, but that's all I use. I tried making a new panel and adding just the weather applet, and when I did the temperature readout stayed while the icon vanished... and with it the ability to control the applet.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Does anyone know of a fix?

Bobhuber
December 22nd, 2009, 04:56 PM
I've checked this out on both my Xubuntu systems, and the Xfce weather applet seems to be disappearing on me. I think it's the icon only that disappears, but that's all I use. I tried making a new panel and adding just the weather applet, and when I did the temperature readout stayed while the icon vanished... and with it the ability to control the applet.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Does anyone know of a fix?

I have the same problem in Ubuntu Karmic and have seen several posts to the same effect. So far no answers or solutions that have worked for me. Very annoying.
It seems to be a problem with the applet itself ?? or the way the screen refreshes.

comorbid
December 22nd, 2009, 07:23 PM
The only thing I can recommend would be to install Screenlets and just use ClearWeather. It seems to work okay across both Gnome and XFCE.

Not actually a fix, but I just happened to install the Xubuntu desktop a few minutes ago, and the Screenlet loaded just fine. If you want something compact, however, that's probably not what you wanna use.

Bobhuber
December 25th, 2009, 04:45 AM
The only thing I can recommend would be to install Screenlets and just use ClearWeather. It seems to work okay across both Gnome and XFCE.

Not actually a fix, but I just happened to install the Xubuntu desktop a few minutes ago, and the Screenlet loaded just fine. If you want something compact, however, that's probably not what you wanna use.

I found the answer hidden where I would never think to look.The CLOCK APPLET .
Click on the date to open up a calendar.Click on locations,edit,add.Key in your location (I used Florida) and it will scroll a listing of cities.Once you set it up it gives you the weather and temp displayed to the left of the date and time.After you have done that try double clicking on any day in the calendar and watch what happens. That is one of the best kept secrets that I have run across.Now if the display doesn't disappear I'm all set.