PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing ubnutu 8.04.3

zooz61
October 12th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Hi, I recently tried installing 8.04.3 , had a few errors but it continued to install, when i restarted the computer now all I get after GRUB is some sort of BusyBox command prompt beginning with (initramfs). I have lots of information I can't afford to lose on Ubuntu, and I can't stand going back to Windows, so any help is greatly appreciated!.
Thanks

rreese6
October 12th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Normally if you are installing an Operating System and you have errors, you should work on those first.
could you post some of the errors you got?
One thing to be sure of is that the copy of Ubuntu doesn't have errors on the CD you burned. Boot up the LiveCD and select Check CD Media from the menu. if you have errors, then you need to make a new CD.
I suggest that you burn the CD at the slowest speed possible also, like 4x or 8x.
if the Check CD Media test passes, then we need to address the errors one at a time.

MelDJ
October 12th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Hi, I recently tried installing 8.04.3 , had a few errors but it continued to install, when i restarted the computer now all I get after GRUB is some sort of BusyBox command prompt beginning with (initramfs). I have lots of information I can't afford to lose on Ubuntu, and I can't stand going back to Windows, so any help is greatly appreciated!.
Thanks

it seems you have switched off the computer improperly. go to windows. then run a chkdsk (you dont need to select the recover bad sectors option as that takes a long time. after doing chksdsk, restart cleanly into ubuntu