PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Severly screwed up package - my plan, my problem...

shaunsmith_99
October 11th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Well,

I've been spending tremendous amounts of time learning and becoming comfortable in the bash command, but I have a problem that's got me stumped and I can't find a good solution.

-I goofed up. I screwed up. I made a major error. I went to install Ubuntu-Tweak, and I started with the package for Karmic. I use Jaunty. It didn't like that and it let's me know it. It crashed my laptop - and it cannot be removed by synaptic, add-remove, --purge, all the tricks I've seen. I can't install the jaunty package over it, and I need to remove it manually. Here is my plan..

1. cd /var/lib/dpkg
2. sudo cp available available.bad
3. sudo cp status status.bad
4. open available with txt editor
5. remove all references towards ubuntu-tweak
6. same with status
7. cd info
8. delete all files relating to ubuntu-tweak

Good plan huh? I found these instructions online. however, I can't seem to get permissions to make changes to available or status - it throws permission problems at me - does thiss need to be done entirely through the terminal or can I somehow login as root and edit these important files?

Shaun

Partyboi2
October 12th, 2009, 12:06 AM
If you want to do it via the gui, then press Alt+F2 and in the box that opens type

gksu nautilus After you have made any changes remember to close nautilus as nautilus will be open with admin rights.

shaunsmith_99
October 12th, 2009, 12:17 AM
If you want to do it via the gui, then press Alt+F2 and in the box that opens type

gksu nautilus After you have made any changes remember to close nautilus as nautilus will be open with admin rights.

Ugh - after x-number our hours I think I fixed it.

#sudo-i

Them I edited everything, and rm -i all the bad packages.

Ugh - hopefully I can help some newbie fix nasty broken packages so they won't have learn the hard way (like I usually do)

Man, I thought all those linux goons were just using the bash terminal so they'd look schmart - but I just realized how powerful that thing is. :)