PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Wubi in windows XP

Dula
October 11th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Is running Ubuntu through Wubi the same as running as a HDD install? That is, do I get the same kind of security as I would with Ubuntu running on a Windows host machine, or is my Windows XP machine still vulnerable because it is running Ubuntu as a "program" rather than a native operating system?

SunnyRabbiera
October 11th, 2009, 09:06 PM
No it should be all good, usually Wubi is mostly self contained.

hessiess
October 11th, 2009, 09:07 PM
When Ubuntu is running from a WUBI install, Windows is not running. Howeaver when you are running windows your ubuntu data is just as vulnerable as anything else you have mounted on the OS.

SunnyRabbiera
October 11th, 2009, 09:11 PM
When Ubuntu is running from a WUBI install, Windows is not running. Howeaver when you are running windows your ubuntu data is just as vulnerable as anything else you have mounted on the OS.

True, but if you have good browsing habits and keep those security tools on then its all fine.
Just keep an eye out when using XP

Dula
October 12th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Thanks. I'd probably switch completely, but my wireless card and printer won't work w/ Ubuntu. Maybe Karmic will fix this.
Thanks for helping the newbie!

Nerd King
October 12th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Wireless: Linux Mint comes with lots of extra wireless drivers which may help. Also try booting off the cd and go to System -> Administration -> Hardware drivers and see if anything shows up. Generally if it won't work from boot that's a good way to get a wi-fi card working.