PDA

View Full Version : netbooks I should avoid?

oxf
October 11th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I've started to look for a lightweight netbook. The first thing I've discovered is there is a lot more to this than I imagined! Rather than ask for recomendations let me reverse the question: Are there any netbooks/lightweight notebooks that I should AVOID as far as putting linux on them? i.e ones that are more problematic?

coldReactive
October 11th, 2009, 08:39 PM
The Toshiba nb20x series is one to avoid, but progress is being made.

Junkieman
October 11th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Although I can't suggest any to avoid, I used the Netbook compatibility list (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks) to sort through the ones that work well, and those that don't.

TheNessus
October 11th, 2009, 08:47 PM
avoid anything which is not 12" or 11.6". larger sucks, smaller is a pain. avoid anything which is 1.3ghz and less, avoid anything which is 3 cell bat. avoid atom 270 and less.

they're all the same in other respects. so Linux-wise they're all the same too. same motherboards, same etc, etc, etc.

dyous87
October 11th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Why not go for System76 and not have to worry about any compatibility problems as far as Linux is concerned.

They have this 10" model:
http://system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=92

And this 12" which isn't exactly a netbook but is still very small and portable:
http://system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=76

Best of all these all come with Ubuntu preinstalled and all hardware working out of the box!

David

Junkieman
October 11th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Best of all these all come with Ubuntu preinstalled and all hardware working out of the box!

Wow those are nice :) They should include the N280 proc actually... :D

Skripka
October 11th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Why not go for System76 and not have to worry about any compatibility problems as far as Linux is concerned.

They have this 10" model:
http://system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=92

And this 12" which isn't exactly a netbook but is still very small and portable:
http://system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=76

David

Um, because Sys76 comes with an obsolete wireless card, and a low capacity battery?

starcannon
October 11th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Avoid anything based on VIA, oy vey!

oxf
October 12th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Avoid anything based on VIA, oy vey!

Can you elaborate on that?
Do you mean the Via proc?
Thanks

tgalati4
October 12th, 2009, 12:24 AM
VIA chipsets have good power-saving, but are generally poor performers compared to Intel's Atom chipset. VIA is closer to older ARM chips in performance and power use.

Jesus_Valdez
October 12th, 2009, 12:37 AM
What we need is a great Guide to netbooks/laptops in the forum, every week we have tons of cuestions about them and usually the answer are the same.

starcannon
October 12th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Can you elaborate on that?
Do you mean the Via proc?
Thanks

The CPU's are okay enough; but in the netbooks I have experienced, I have not seen a VIA CPU that was not also accompanied by a VIA based motherboard, and VIA based gpu's. The GPU alone, is a great irritation to get working correctly, if at all when running an X Server.

For the most compatible and trouble free "it just works" experience, I find Intel based netbooks to be my first choice.

GL

mikewhatever
October 12th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I wouldn't recommend netbooks with Poulsbo graphics also know as gma500. While they can be made work with a hack, Intel doesn't seem to have any plans supporting gma500 on Linux.

Skripka
October 12th, 2009, 01:26 AM
What we need is a great Guide to netbooks/laptops in the forum, every week we have tons of cuestions about them and usually the answer are the same.

It would be better if it was an up-to-date Wiki document. Forums-based support, as Ubuntu Forums shows, is non-sustainable and a headache for all concerned.

madhi19
October 12th, 2009, 03:47 AM
You should check to see if the netbook you want to buy can have the Ram upgraded to 2Gb.

Warpnow
October 12th, 2009, 03:50 AM
You should check to see if the netbook you want to buy can have the Ram upgraded to 2Gb.

*eyes wide* Why would a netbook need 2gbs of ram? You'll be killing the cpu long before you use up 2gbs of ram.

coldReactive
October 12th, 2009, 03:54 AM
*eyes wide* Why would a netbook need 2gbs of ram? You'll be killing the cpu long before you use up 2gbs of ram.

1.66 GHz Dual Core Atom can hang more in windows than linux, so I agree.

Warpnow
October 12th, 2009, 04:06 AM
1.66 GHz Dual Core Atom can hang more in windows than linux, so I agree.

Aren't the dual core atoms only for nettops not netbooks?

coldReactive
October 12th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Aren't the dual core atoms only for nettops not netbooks?

Toshiba nb205 Sable Brown = Netbook

oxf
October 12th, 2009, 09:46 AM
VIA chipsets have good power-saving, but are generally poor performers compared to Intel's Atom chipset. VIA is closer to older ARM chips in performance and power use.

Oh OK thanks! :)

3rdalbum
October 12th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Avoid the Acer Aspire One models with SSDs. The SSDs they use are ridiculously slow. Slower tha a flash drive.

oxf
October 12th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Avoid the Acer Aspire One models with SSDs. The SSDs they use are ridiculously slow. Slower tha a flash drive.

Really? I was under the impression (perhaps wrong) they were faster and that the problem would be the issue of the lower number of write/re-write on a SSD. Which would have been my next question!

amitabhishek
October 12th, 2009, 11:41 AM
All netbooks are so freaking slow and way too tough for the eyes. This bubble (under current specs.) will bust one day. Buying a smart phone is a much better decision IMO.

gn2
October 12th, 2009, 11:44 AM
It's the particularly low spec and poor peforming 8 or 16gb SSD that's fitted in the AA1 that is the problem, not SSD drives as such.

If you're getting an AA1, get an HDD model.
In the UK refurb AA1 netbooks with warranty go for really low money, typically £130-£150 e.g. this one (http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Grade_A1_Acer_Aspire_one_A150L__-_120GB_-1GB_-_Blue_A1-LU.S050A.074/version.asp?PID=171)

Skripka
October 12th, 2009, 12:56 PM
All netbooks are so freaking slow and way too tough for the eyes. This bubble (under current specs.) will bust one day. Buying a smart phone is a much better decision IMO.

So that way when you wash your phone you lose:

-Your phone
-Your netbook
-Your GameBoy
-Your camera
-Your music collection

I LOVE putting all the eggs in one basket!

winjeel
October 12th, 2009, 01:14 PM

Done:

Although I can't suggest any to avoid, I used the Netbook compatibility list (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks) to sort through the ones that work well, and those that don't.

I'm considering a (third) laptop, one that's really light and not bulky, so I can use it for work and carry it on the hour long train commutes I do, and for ... lots of other things.

The Jinx
October 12th, 2009, 01:28 PM
if you plan on using the " ' " key don't get the Dell Mini 9

amitabhishek
October 12th, 2009, 01:38 PM
So that way when you wash your phone you lose:

-Your phone
-Your netbook
-Your GameBoy
-Your camera
-Your music collection

I LOVE putting all the eggs in one basket!

Eggxactly!!!:)

On a serious note I don't understand notebook hype. You pay for something that's not powerful enough nor small enough to fit into your pocket. :confused:

steev182
October 12th, 2009, 01:39 PM
The ' key works nicely for me on my Mini 9...

The Jinx
October 12th, 2009, 01:49 PM
The ' key works nicely for me on my Mini 9...

yea but you gotta use your thumb, idk about you but it is too weirdly positioned for me

KegHead
October 12th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Hi!

I've had a mini 9 for 10 months with no problems.

2 gb memory, 16 gb ssd.

I'm running 9.10.

KegHead

Skripka
October 12th, 2009, 11:30 PM

On a serious note I don't understand notebook hype. You pay for something that's not powerful enough nor small enough to fit into your pocket. :confused:

Notebooks are a no man's land between netbooks and desktops. Netbooks I can type Word docs on and surf wireless comfortabley (without having to resize pages)--and in addition they are far cheaper than a smart phone both short and long run.

aysiu
October 13th, 2009, 12:19 AM
*eyes wide* Why would a netbook need 2gbs of ram? You'll be killing the cpu long before you use up 2gbs of ram. You must not be a netbook owner, then... or not one who has actually tried 2 GB of RAM.

I upgraded my netbook from 1 GB of RAM to 2 GB of RAM, and it's great. In fact, because the processor is so weak, a RAM upgrade is almost necessary if you want any kind of decent performance or responsiveness from applications.

coldReactive
October 13th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Notebooks are a no man's land between netbooks and desktops. Netbooks I can type Word docs on and surf wireless comfortabley (without having to resize pages)--and in addition they are far cheaper than a smart phone both short and long run.

If you get one from a phone company with a rebate or with a phone package. Else, every one of them are 299 or higher.

starcannon
October 14th, 2009, 07:56 AM

You just need bigger pockets :)
A netbook is about the size of an average book, and wieghs in at 3.5lb with the battery on average. I personally don't dig smart phones, I feel to limited in everyway, so for me the netbook is a great way of having it all while on the run. I carry a messenger bag for my other crap anyway, and this just fits way better.

Oh, and yeah, like previously mentioned, the keyboard on the mini9, ack. Its a solid performer, but the keyboard, I dislike it so much I went back to my Asus Eee 8g(702).

GL and HF

ssam
October 14th, 2009, 08:33 AM
if you want to get preinstalled linux in the uk try the linuxemporium. i just got a lenovo S12 from them.

whitefort
October 14th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I was recently given an Acer Aspire One 751.

I was over the moon at getting a freebie netbook that retails for >£300, but it's a real dog of a machine, and its performance is surprisingly bad, given its specs. My old EEEPC 901 *flies* by comparison.

I think it might be to do with the graphics card in the Acer.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Taking off XP and installing Ubuntu made things a bit better, but it still runs like treacle compared to the (now semi-antique) EEEPC 901.

ricojonah
October 14th, 2009, 04:12 PM
You must not be a netbook owner, then... or not one who has actually tried 2 GB of RAM.

I upgraded my netbook from 1 GB of RAM to 2 GB of RAM, and it's great. In fact, because the processor is so weak, a RAM upgrade is almost necessary if you want any kind of decent performance or responsiveness from applications.

I definitely agree. I recently did the same with my MSI U100 netbook, and the difference is very noticeable.

Junkieman
October 14th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I definitely agree. I recently did the same with my MSI U100 Netbook, and the difference is very noticeable.

Same here on my MSI U100 Plus. The 2GB will make less use of swap, less disk access is always good when running on battery (unless its a SSD).

OT but for for Netbook fans, the Eee Keyboard specs (http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/12/eee-keyboard-splayed-detailed-by-fcc/) have been released :)