PDA

View Full Version : Eye of Gnome

cguy
October 11th, 2009, 08:30 PM
It loads images at a shameful speed and lacks basic photo-editing controls.
There are much better GTK image viewers out there, so my question is at follows: Why is it the default choice for GNOME?

chris4585
October 11th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I ask the same question, I use gpicview, its better IMO.

Junkieman
October 11th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Same here, I'm a gthumb user myself.

cb951303
October 11th, 2009, 09:02 PM
because we have fspot or gthumb for basic photo editing. also I never had any speed issues with eog.

SunnyRabbiera
October 11th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Eye of gnome is supposed to be simplistic, I mean a image viewer should be just that: a viewer, most other image image viewers brag about having a million image editing tools built in but really a image viewer with a image editor is a bit overkill...
I can survive with a seperate viewer and editor.
I dont know what the big deal is with editing tools in image viewers is as most of those tools are limited compared to the amount you get in a all out image editor.
Even the GIMP offers more editing features, despite how many people complain it lacks in features compared to photoshop.

chris4585
October 11th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I like gpicview for one reason, when I scroll on the image it goes to the next image. I don't really care about editing tools in the image viewer. I would use the old gwenview from kde 3.5, because it had an option to scale to fit... is it so much to ask for that basic feature?

SunnyRabbiera
October 11th, 2009, 09:22 PM
I like gpicview for one reason, when I scroll on the image it goes to the next image. I don't really care about editing tools in the image viewer. I would use the old gwenview from kde 3.5, because it had an option to scale to fit... is it so much to ask for that basic feature?

I think the new gwenview offers image scaling to the window

FuturePilot
October 11th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Because it's supposed to be an image viewer, not an image editor. It also fits right in with the simplicity philosophy of Gnome and the idea of "do one thing and do it well"

UbuWu
October 11th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Viewnior would be a nice replacement. It is basically eog improved. Smaller, faster, better.

cguy
October 11th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Pretend that you watch a bunch of pictures from your vacation and you want to modify the contrast of some of them.
What will you do?

Will you load each on of them in the feature-rich, heavy on resources, hard to use for a beginner GIMP, or import the folder in F-Spot, wait for importing to finish, browse to the selected picture(s) and then modify the contrast?

Simplicity doesn't mean limited and annoying.

Contrast, brightness, sharpness, color level and crop aren't bloat (or whatever you may call them) for an image viewer. They're more like a must for the average user.

(but it's, of course, a matter of preference)

HOWEVER

The focus of the thread should have been on the loading speed. I've read the same feedback from many GNOME users: image loading is slow compared to other viewers. Compare it yourself and post the results. (but, please, actually test it before posting)

kerry_s
October 11th, 2009, 09:51 PM
i use gpicview, uninstalled eog.

murderslastcrow
October 11th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Gpicview looks pretty simple. I love EOG, but I hate that I have to use Ristretto from Xfce just to watch some gifs. Seems like something that should've been addressed a long time ago. I'm going to see if gpicview supports gif animations, and if so, I may just replace Eye of Gnome with it.

murderslastcrow
October 11th, 2009, 10:29 PM
gPicView 0.2 features gif animation support and it's currently at 0.2.1.

I want someone to tell me why we shouldn't replace Eye of Gnome with gPicView in Lucid Lynx. It looks like it has all the necessary features. Are we just getting too Gnome-integrated lately to think about it? It seems that the GIF issue is marked as 'of little importance' or something to that effect on the EoG site.

Hrm. Tough decision. I'll try it out, anyway.

joey-elijah
October 11th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Viewnior is just as basic (though has cropping and a few other features such as .gif animation support) and is BLAAAAZINGLY fast.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/10/app-of-week-viewnior-lightweight-image.html

chris4585
October 11th, 2009, 11:45 PM
I think the new gwenview offers image scaling to the window

Yes, but does it apply scale to fit to every image? For example, if I check/tick scale to fit, and scroll to the next image (does it still do that? or does it zoom now?) will it still have the scale to fit attribute for the next image?

etnlIcarus
October 12th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Because it's supposed to be an image viewer, not an image editor. It also fits right in with the simplicity philosophy of Gnome and the idea of "do one thing and do it well"

Simplicity doesn't mean limited and annoying.Way to totally ignore the relevant part of that reply. And in this context, simple and limited are practically synonyms.

Your GIMP usage scenario is also woefully off: if you know you're going to do any image editing, you load The GIMP once and import photos as-necessary, either from your file manager or from the image viewer. Also not sure where you're getting the, "heavy on resources", bit from. The GIMP loads in < 10s and uses less than 20mb of RAM and my PC was considered 'average' in 2003.

Anyway, I abhor editing functionality in image viewers. Same as with media players that include 'delete from HDD' functionality: you lose a lot of your productivity and speed, avoiding potentially destructive functionality. The insecurity is also just plain unpleasant.

ad_267
October 12th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I didn't find Viewnior that much faster but I use it because it doesn't annoyingly open the Gnome appearance preferences every time I select the option to set an image as my wallpaper. Not a good thing when I'm trying out a few wallpapers at once.

koleoptero
October 12th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I ask the same question, I use gpicview, its better IMO.

+1

Yes, but does it apply scale to fit to every image? For example, if I check/tick scale to fit, and scroll to the next image (does it still do that? or does it zoom now?) will it still have the scale to fit attribute for the next image?

yes. yes if it's larger than the window.

chris4585
October 13th, 2009, 01:10 AM
yes. yes if it's larger than the window.

Interesting, so the same dosen't apply to smaller images? Because thats where I need it... If so thats :|

Thanks for the reply.

aktiwers
October 13th, 2009, 02:29 AM
gpicview is pretty neat

chucky chuckaluck
October 13th, 2009, 03:46 AM
i often have video clips in with pictures (especially of my cats) so gwenview is great for showing all of it.