PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Typeset problem on Ubuntu 6.06 LTS

FrontalNoize
October 11th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I was upgrading my system today. Trying to bring it from 6.06 to the latest version. Don't ask me why I'm lagging so far behind, long story.
Anyhow, after a first upgrading round, I encountered a typeset problem. See the attached screenshot, it should be pretty clear. Rather than letters and numbers, I see symbols. I also have various error messages, but I can't read them, so I have no idea where to click (other than close, but than they return). I can read normal text on firefox though, but only the web pages themselves. The navigation bar is equally distorted.
I had encountered a message that asked me to "Mark all updates" on Synaptics. Thinking it might have to do with that, but I can't navigate through Synaptics without seeing text, so...

Any idea how this can be solved? Preferaby by terminal.

tgalati4
October 11th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Looks like a language/locale problem. Wouldn't it be easier to back up your data and start with a fresh load?

You will have to go from Dapper-->Edgy-->Feisty-->Gutsy-->Hardy. Each distro will require ~700 MB of downloads. It would be quicker to back up your data and just download Hardy LTS and load that with a fresh install.

FrontalNoize
October 11th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Well, problem is that for some strange reason, my laptop has problems reading any installation disk higher than the 6.06 version. My brother has the same problem with the same laptop type. So I decided to install 6 and upgrade that way. I got a fast internet connection, so 1 gig of downloads really isn't that much of a problem. The language problem, on the other hand, is very annoying.

If there's no other solution, I certainly retry intstalling. But if there's a simpler solution, I'd prefer that one. Running a dual boot with windows, so I can still use my laptop normally, but I hate Windows and want to get rid of it for anything that isn't school-related.

tgalati4
October 11th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Try downloading the hardy alternate (text-based) installer. What are the specs of your laptop?