PDA

View Full Version : Curious about what the best Media center software suite really is.

toupeiro
October 11th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I've been fascinated by HTPC for some time now, but I've not readily had the funds available to dabble in it for myself. I've helped others do pretty simple ones, but most of it was just in setting up MythTV or Windows Media Center Part of that is because I cannot yet quantify how much I might have to spend yet because I don't think I fully understand what I need.

Here's the bigger picture:

55" HDTV (rear projection, pre HDMI)
Pioneer 7.1 A/V receiver (HD RGB)
DVD Player
LP Player
Nintendo Wii
Dish ViP 722 DVR.
(Coming Soon) Netflix Roku DVP (for On-Demand)
Logitech Harmony remote Control. (IR only)

I'm looking for the HTPC to better extend web and on-demand media (hulu) as well as gaming and other internet services. I would like to control at least 3 TV's in total via wireless N, or powerline ethernet since I am already using that, with the media center PC. I'd want TV, and all on-demand sources be available. I would likely downgrade my DVR down the road to a standard DVP if it all worked properly. I think any way I am looking at it, I am going to have to replace my pioneer because after adding the roku because I don't have enough inputs and outputs to make this work otherwise.

My thinking right now would be

Living room:

Dish DVR -> Pioneer (RGB in 1)
Roku -> Pioneer (RGB in 2)
Wii -> Pioneer (RCA)
DVD/LP -> Pioneer (RCA's)
Pioneer -> HTPC (RGB out 1)
HTPC -> TV (RGB out)
HTPC -> Bedroom 1 (some network device)
HTPC -> Bedroom 2 (some network device)

Minimum HTPC TV tuners required: 3

To all those who have done HTPC builds, does this look like it would work, and might there be a better way to do it? I'm all eyes! :) Is there better hardware I should be looking at? Is MythTV the best suite for this kind of an install?

Thanks in advance,

-T.

EDIT: P.S. I really wish mobo manufacturers would stop thinking small with MC motherboards, and start thinking about how they can incorporate hardware A/V into it. It'd be nice to eliminate the AV Center with all of this and have all of it controlled by one box.

madsmeg
October 11th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I actually have played with LinuxMCE (http://www.linuxmce.com/). THis seems to do what you want it to. Check out thier site and the video.

cdekter
October 12th, 2009, 03:39 AM
As far as the software is concerned, (unfortunately) Windows Media Center is the best. Best hardware integration, best support for TV tuners, best interface, and very easy to set up. I've used XBMC, MythTV and a few others, and they all have serious shortcomings IMHO.

hoppipolla
October 12th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Moovida!

Only joking.. lol

It will probably get better though :)

Warpnow
October 12th, 2009, 03:44 AM
I like Entertainer.