PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have a linuxmail.org email.

dragos240
October 11th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Just got mine a few days ago. It's just nice to have an email that shows you use linux. Unfortunately, you have to access your email from mail.com, very ugly interface. And you have to pay for POP3 use. It used to be owned by linuxmail.org, but has since been bought.

RATM_Owns
October 11th, 2009, 02:23 PM
I have a archlinux.us mail. Nice way to show I use Arch. :P

dragos240
October 11th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Nice!

kk0sse54
October 11th, 2009, 04:19 PM
linuxmail.org is worthless, I like think I have at least an ounce of security with the email site I use. I mean not sending passwords in clear text should be no brainer...

dragos240
October 11th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Well maybe mail.com has more. Even though it seems cheap.

ade234uk
October 11th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Would love it, if Ubuntu bought out a free email service. And may be a paid service for business.
This is one way to get the message across, kind of like hotmail.

Junkieman
October 11th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Id love that too, imagine an Ubuntu mail account :D

I don't have a Linux named email address myself.

Bachstelze
October 11th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Id love that too, imagine an Ubuntu mail account :D

Easy, just become an Ubuntu Member. Oh, and to answer the original question: no. I host my email myself.

Junkieman
October 11th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Easy, just become an Ubuntu Member. Oh, and to answer the original question: no. I host my email myself.
I never knew that.

Here's the link (http://www.ubuntu.com/community/processes/newmember) for reference too.

hessiess
October 11th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I mean not sending passwords in clear text should be no brainer...

like POP3, IMAP, FTP and a hoast of outher protocals which send passwords in the clear, `should be' does not work when the whole communications network is based on outdated, insecure protocols;)

Bachstelze
October 11th, 2009, 09:38 PM
like POP3, IMAP, FTP and a hoast of outher protocals which send passwords in the clear, `should be' does not work when the whole communications network is based on outdated, insecure protocols;)

All of those can be encrypted with TLS/SSL.

Joeb454
October 11th, 2009, 09:54 PM
For the record, @ubuntu.com address are simply aliases. They point to your primary email address on LaunchPad.

So my @ubuntu.com address points to my Gmail account :)

t0p
October 12th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Just got mine a few days ago. It's just nice to have an email that shows you use linux. Unfortunately, you have to access your email from mail.com, very ugly interface. And you have to pay for POP3 use. It used to be owned by linuxmail.org, but has since been bought.

So where does one sign up for a linuxmail.org account? I looked at mail.com, and they have a truly stupendous list of possible domains - mail.com, email.com, usa.com, consultant.com, myself.com, europe.com, london.com, post.com, engineer.com, iname.com, cheerful.com, writeme.com, lawyer.com, doctor.com, asia.com, techie.com - but no linuxmail.com...

days_of_ruin
October 12th, 2009, 11:11 PM
If you join the Linux Foundation you get a Linux.com email address. http://www.linux.com/community/join-lf.

Costs $99 dollars tho :P

t0p
October 12th, 2009, 11:51 PM
If you join the Linux Foundation you get a Linux.com email address. http://www.linux.com/community/join-lf.

Costs $99 dollars tho :P

OOF!! Well, I don't think I'll bother with that then.

Heck, I could buy myself a domain name with "Linux" in it, and get the attendant email addresses, for far less than 99 bucks!