PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] dual boot problem

agroody
October 11th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Ok, I'm a complete newbie. I got Ubuntu 9.04 working on my old Compaq but trying to dual boot with XP on my Acer laptop doesn't seem to work. First, it wouldn't boot from CD so I used the help-option on the Ubuntu guide. Now when I start my computer, it gives me the option to boot either Windows or Ubuntu, but if I choose Ubuntu, all I get it busybox v1.10.2 and is asks for initramfs. demo mode, normal mode, all the choices take me here. If I put the Live-CDin again I get 'reached critical temperature' and it ejects the CD.

This is probably the silliest question ever, but what should I do?

edit. Oh, I forgot to mention. I never got to the actual installation process, partitioning and stuff. I can't get there, not from the CD or from the boot menu. and I can't even see any mention of Ubuntu on my computer when in Windows.

Intrepid Ibex
October 11th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Well don't expect Windows will recognize ext4 (or any linux filesystem) without any help (even then probably ext2 and ext3).

But what you mean you can't boot to the live CD, I didn't quite understand.

agroody
October 12th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Sorry if I was vague, what I meant was, even though I changed the boot order so that CD was primary and the disc kept spinning like mad, it wouldn't boot in Ubuntu and wouldn't take me to the installation process. I burned another copy of the live CD but it didn't work either, so I used a memory stick instead,a dn with the help of a more experienced Linux user, I got it to work. Finally.

Thanks anyway, I still can't get over how quick and willing people are to help here. If it wasn't for these forums, I never wouldn't dared to switch to Ubuntu