PDA

View Full Version : Sprint Android Powered HTC Hero is Finally Out!

HappinessNow
October 11th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Sprint Android Powered HTC Hero is Finally Out! on today Oct. 11th 2009.

Here is a sample of how much it will cost which is less expensive then other HTC phones offered by Sprint:

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=131565&d=1255261941 (http://now.sprint.com/android/)

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=131564&d=1255261705http://now.sprint.com/android/

Wait a Moment! that Samsung Moment is looking pretty sweet also!

madjr
October 11th, 2009, 11:02 PM
oh this is cool

didn't know sprint were into androids

Mateo
October 12th, 2009, 12:30 AM
wonderful, second U.S. carrier with an android phone.

jeremyswalker
October 12th, 2009, 12:33 AM
From what I understand, Verizon has plans to roll out Android phones by the holidays, as well.

Mateo
October 12th, 2009, 12:44 AM
From what I understand, Verizon has plans to roll out Android phones by the holidays, as well.

And T-Mobile is getting 2 more.

jeremyswalker
October 12th, 2009, 12:48 AM
With all these new Android phones coming out, it shouldn't be too long before Android phones are as popular as the iPhone. Heck, with the multitude of carriers set to offer Android, I wouldn't be surprised if the popularity crushed that of the one-carrier iPhone.

Mateo
October 12th, 2009, 12:50 AM
it will surpass the number of users but it won't surpass in popularity because android users don't necessarily know they are using android.

Dimitriid
October 12th, 2009, 01:23 AM
I don't understand why americans like to sign up for long, messy, charge-you-175-per-line-to-cancel contracts. I rather pay for the actual phone cost ( in this case $500 ) to have it on prepaid.

pwnst*r
October 12th, 2009, 01:52 AM
I don't understand why americans like to sign up for long, messy, charge-you-175-per-line-to-cancel contracts. I rather pay for the actual phone cost ( in this case $500 ) to have it on prepaid.

cuz you can't get pre-paid data service. data is required on these types of phones.

Mateo
October 12th, 2009, 02:05 AM

it actually costs less to buy the phone at the subsidized price and then later break your contract ($200 early termination fee in most cases) than it is to pay full price for the phone.

Dimitriid
October 12th, 2009, 02:07 AM
cuz you can't get pre-paid data service. data is required on these types of phones.

It has a wifi card, there's hotspots everywhere. Do you really need that much more data on a phone?

Dimitriid
October 12th, 2009, 02:09 AM
it actually costs less to buy the phone at the subsidized price and then later break your contract ($200 early termination fee in most cases) than it is to pay full price for the phone.

Thats not a bad idea actually, you managed to beat the system, good for you :)

DeadSuperHero
October 12th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Reports have been looking good for the Sprint HTC Hero, though I really want to see it on Verizon's network. Granted, I haven't really used any other network, but I always really liked the one Verizon offers.

Good network + Good phone = Me being happy.

Good phone + lesser network = me being slightly less happy.

Either way, it'll be interesting to see all the new phones coming out.

jeremyswalker
October 12th, 2009, 02:18 AM
It has a wifi card, there's hotspots everywhere. Do you really need that much more data on a phone?

Hotspots aren't exactly everywhere. It would certainly suck if the only place you could use your phone was near a hotspot. In fact, I would say that most people are away from a hotspot, the majority of the time.

Mateo
October 12th, 2009, 02:19 AM

Not in the U.S.

Dimitriid
October 12th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Hotspots aren't exactly everywhere. It would certainly suck if the only place you could use your phone was near a hotspot. In fact, I would say that most people are away from a hotspot, the majority of the time.

Ummm, it doesn't turns off if there is no data connection. You know, because its main function its supposed to be a phone. I honestly don't know what the big deal is about not being able to check your email or post on facebook while you are in the middle of a forest since you can just, you know, call whoever you need on the other minor function this devices have: phone calls.

jeremyswalker
October 12th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Ummm, it doesn't turns off if there is no data connection. You know, because its main function its supposed to be a phone. I honestly don't know what the big deal is about not being able to check your email or post on facebook while you are in the middle of a forest since you can just, you know, call whoever you need on the other minor function this devices have: phone calls.

Ok, perhaps I should have been more specific. I would hate to only be able to use the data aspect of my phone near a hotspot. Especially, if I bought a data-centric phone. And you certainly don't have to be in the middle of the forest to not have a wifi connection. They are not everywhere around me. Maybe things are different where you live.

And if I was only going to use it for phone calls, I would just get the free phone.

Dimitriid
October 12th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Ok, perhaps I should have been more specific. I would hate to only be able to use the data aspect of my phone near a hotspot. Especially, if I bought a data-centric phone. And you certainly don't have to be in the middle of the forest to not have a wifi connection. They are not everywhere around me. Maybe things are different where you live.

And if I was only going to use it for phone calls, I would just get the free phone.

My point is that the phone is not crippled because it doesn't has 24/7 data access, even if its a data centric phone. Most people able to afford a phone like this spend the vast majority of their time near a hotspot anyway. Because the memory is actually limited its unlikely that you would need constant uptime to download, because the screen its so small its unlikely that you would need to spend hours upon hours streaming video on a tiny, eye-straining screen. If you need to check emails, keep in touch, do work related stuff I already covered that: you can always just call whoever you want.

If you really do need to be online all time and you really don't spend something like 90% of your time near a hotspot ( most people with an office job do honestly ) then yes a data plan might be worth it. But I doubt most of you honestly do.

pwnst*r
October 12th, 2009, 03:34 AM

LOL. they might be "everywhere" where you live, but i've lived in Boston, NYC, San Diego, and PHX within the last 5 years and that's hardly the case.

madjr
October 12th, 2009, 04:42 AM
it will surpass the number of users but it won't surpass in popularity because android users don't necessarily know they are using android.

well most users should know this is a google branded OS since they have to create and log in to their Google account on the data plan

some iphone users may not know who makes their phone (apple), but on android phones you certainly have to login into your google account or it will not work at all.

android is really gaining on mind-share, most carriers want it.

and with smartbooks Android will get even more popular since these same carriers will offer them even more cheaply with 3g dataplans and/or smartphone combos

HappinessNow
October 12th, 2009, 07:14 AM

Both Verizon and ATT plan to roll out Android phones.

Paqman
October 12th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the popularity crushed that of the one-carrier iPhone.

The battle isn't really between iPhone and Android, both will probably be able to coexist quite peacefully. The big loser is Windows Mobile, which is losing market share to both systems.

Symbian and Blackberry are still the biggest kids on the block though, everybody else is an also-ran.

HappinessNow
October 12th, 2009, 06:49 PM
The battle isn't really between iPhone and Android, both will probably be able to coexist quite peacefully. The big loser is Windows Mobile, which is losing market share to both systems.

Symbian and Blackberry are still the biggest kids on the block though, everybody else is an also-ran.
Android will overpower iPhone simply by default in design, iPhone is actually a small fry in the bigger worldwide market.

Android will mainly be competing with Nokia and RIM eventually.