PDA

View Full Version : Is using Webmin cheating?

kevin11951
October 11th, 2009, 09:40 AM
I was having trouble with a couple of things on my server, like RAID. I spent maybe a day or so, trying to understand things like RAID, but couldn't. I installed Webmin, and in under 10 minutes I had everything setup.

Note: the preceding story is fictional.

So, is using Webmin cheating, or just a way to do things faster than cli?

Private_Ops
October 11th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I see it as a way to set a server up easier. Say, if you're just not interested in getting into the nitty-gritty down and dirty side of a server, webmin would be the way to go.

Or... well... there's many reasons why someone would use webmin in the first place, although the CLI guru's could argue this all day and night but, everyone has their own preference and reasons.

Nerd King
October 11th, 2009, 10:01 AM
CLI will always give you more control over intricate details than any other way. Plus doing it the proper way gives a better understanding of how your system works and how to keep it secure. Sure it's more work, but the payoff is worthwhile.

3rdalbum
October 11th, 2009, 10:16 AM
It's only cheating if you were taking a Linux course and had to set up a RAID manually as a homework assignment.

As far as I'm concerned, if you can make your life easier, do it!

CharlesA
October 11th, 2009, 10:20 AM
I say no. I set most of the stuff up on my server using webmin. For people who aren't all that leet at the CLI, having a GUI to help is the way to go.

Altho I did most of the specific app/server installs from the CLI, I used webmin to configure them.

GeneralZod
October 11th, 2009, 10:57 AM
It's cheating in the same way that using a hammer to drive in a nail (instead of, say, your head) is cheating :)

CharlesA
October 11th, 2009, 01:12 PM
It's cheating in the same way that using a hammer to drive in a nail (instead of, say, your head) is cheating :)

Does using yer head to drive in a nail if you have a hardhat on count as doing it the right way then? :P

Warpnow
October 11th, 2009, 04:56 PM

Pft, Nails are for cheaters.

;)

betrunkenaffe
October 11th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Not cheating but if you are going to support something, you should learn what it's all about. Otherwise you might be caught up the creek with no where to go.

kevdog
October 11th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I like webmin, but thought the development of webmin had stopped. Is this true?

toupeiro
October 11th, 2009, 05:22 PM
It's never "cheating" to find ways you are more comfortable administering a machine. I will not agree with you that it is faster overall than CLI, but there are probably some things here and there you can do faster with it.

Eisenwinter
October 11th, 2009, 06:18 PM
This is a genius statement.

I salute you.

cariboo
October 11th, 2009, 06:19 PM
@kevdog check out the webmin (http://www.webmin.com/) page, they're still hard at it. The latest release was announced Sept. 17, 2009.

tubezninja
October 11th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Note: the preceding story is fictional.

So, is using Webmin cheating, or just a way to do things faster than cli?

You're using the tools that permit you to do the job you need to do as quickly and as efficiently as possible. Unless the project itself, or someone in charge of the project has for some reason required you to use cli, then no, it's not cheating.

At the same time, be aware of the consequences. If you're using Webmin, then you pretty much have to keep using it, unless you reconfigure. Same for CPanel.

kevin11951
October 12th, 2009, 02:26 AM
You're using the tools that permit you to do the job you need to do as quickly and as efficiently as possible. Unless the project itself, or someone in charge of the project has for some reason required you to use cli, then no, it's not cheating.

At the same time, be aware of the consequences. If you're using Webmin, then you pretty much have to keep using it, unless you reconfigure. Same for CPanel.

Usually this is true, but I have noticed that with webmin, I can edit a config file outside of it, and when I come back to webmin my changes are there.
So far I have edited iptables, dhcp, and apache configuration files outside of webmin, and not had a problem continuing to configure them from within webmin.

CharlesA
October 12th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Usually this is true, but I have noticed that with webmin, I can edit a config file outside of it, and when I come back to webmin my changes are there.
So far I have edited iptables, dhcp, and apache configuration files outside of webmin, and not had a problem continuing to configure them from within webmin.

That is what I like about webmin. (Among other things)

rb0171610
October 12th, 2009, 02:49 AM

LOL. So true.

wstout
October 12th, 2009, 02:51 AM
I can never get samba shares right without webmin... with webmin 30 seconds if its cheating I'm a cheater:) I think its a nice middle ground for a server you have the help there when you need it but when not it uses very very few resources. I can do simple things ok but when it comes to much config file hacking on certain things I get lost so I can just go over to webmin and get it done fast most of the time.