PDA

View Full Version : KDE + Gnome Shell = ?

hoppipolla
October 11th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Well, it equals this I suppose!

http://i35.tinypic.com/2ikuuky.jpg

Weird or what? lol

Hoppi :)

EDIT -- And yes I am fairly nocturnal! lol

RichardLinx
October 11th, 2009, 06:33 AM
That's just.. wrong. Seriously, why would you even do that? :(

hoppipolla
October 11th, 2009, 06:35 AM
That's just.. wrong. Seriously, why would you even do that? :(

I know, it did feel a bit wrong as I was doing it lol xD

RichardLinx
October 11th, 2009, 06:41 AM
It does look kind of cool though... Does anyone know how to merge the two? After Gnome-shell has matured a little bit we might see some tutorials explaining how to actually do something like this. Or is that "crazy talk"?

Then again, by then KDE4 will be at such a godly level of perfection merging it would only taint it's image.

hoppipolla
October 11th, 2009, 06:45 AM
It does look kind of cool though... Does anyone know how to merge the two? After Gnome-shell has matured a little bit we might see some tutorials explaining how to actually do something like this. Or is that "crazy talk"?

Then again, by then KDE4 will be at such a godly level of perfection merging it would only taint it's image.

All I did there was just replace Kwin with Gnome Shell, so I just ran the command "gnome-shell --replace".

Now, I'm back to Kwin as I typed "kwin --replace".

Thing is, Gnome Shell obviously is designed to replace both the Gnome Panel and Metacity, so you end up with both the KDE and Gnome Shell panels if you do it this way. Then if you kill the KDE one, you're basically just on Gnome lol (the only difference is the background, which will still be plasma and all that as opposed to Nautilus)

Being on KDE really does remind me how good it is - it's so fast and looks beautiful :)

Dimitriid
October 11th, 2009, 06:45 AM
It actually looks fairly good.

sideaway
October 11th, 2009, 06:49 AM
I actually quite like it XD

Warpnow
October 11th, 2009, 07:04 AM
It fits KDE better than Gnome. At least KDE users are used to useless nonfeatures that slow you down and eat resources.

RichardLinx
October 11th, 2009, 07:07 AM
It fits KDE better than Gnome. At least KDE users are used to useless nonfeatures that slow you down and eat resources.

Blasphemy! Besides, KDE4.3.2 (Actually since 4.3.1) has been faster for me than GNOME. Guess Qt really does make a difference..

Edit: Noticeably faster.

vishzilla
October 11th, 2009, 07:17 AM
blasphemy! Besides, kde4.3.2 (actually since 4.3.1) has been faster for me than gnome. Guess qt really does make a difference..

+1

aldld
October 11th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Honestly, I can't think of any reason why somebody would do that to their computer.

lovinglinux
October 11th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Sorry to hijack the thread, but you are doing weird stuff, I thought you might know the answer to my question.

In Jaunty I was able to launch KDE plasma over Gnome, by running the command "plasma". It seems it doesn't work the same way in Karmic. Anyone knows how to do that now?

I don't want to login into KDE, just to use some features of both worlds, while logged in Gnome.

Giant Speck
October 11th, 2009, 08:57 AM
In Jaunty I was able to launch KDE plasma over Gnome, by running the command "plasma". It seems it doesn't work the same way in Karmic. Anyone knows how to do that now?

I noticed this when I installed KDE 4.3 in Jaunty. It doesn't work anymore.

praveesh
October 11th, 2009, 09:01 AM
The goodness of KDE + (only) the goodness of Gnome shell = wow

praveesh
October 11th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Sorry to hijack the thread, but you are doing weird stuff, I thought you might know the answer to my question.

I don't want to login into KDE, just to use some features of both worlds, while logged in Gnome.

plasma-desktop ? . In kde 4.3.x the name of plasma has been changed to plasma-desktop

edit : wow!! that works . I have tested . I haven't tried this idea . Thanks for the idea.

lovinglinux
October 11th, 2009, 09:23 AM
plasma-desktop ? . In kde 4.3.x the name of plasma has been changed to plasma-desktop

edit : wow!! that works . I have tested . I haven't tried this idea . Thanks for the idea.

Thank you. That is great isn't it? ;)

I'm currently deciding if I move completely to KDE or if I use a mix of both. I don't like where Gnome 3 is going with Gnome Shell, so perhaps running Ubuntu with plasma over Gnome is a good solution. Just kill Gnome Shell, then launch plasma-desktop with compiz and emerald. ;)

murderslastcrow
October 11th, 2009, 09:52 AM
I think this is a great example of Linux- open, interoperable, clean, up to you and your imagination.

:3 I like it, kinda'. Maybe I should try KDE again someday.

praveesh
October 11th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Thank you. That is great isn't it? ;)

I'm currently deciding if I move completely to KDE or if I use a mix of both. I don't like where Gnome 3 is going with Gnome Shell, so perhaps running Ubuntu with plasma over Gnome is a good solution. Just kill Gnome Shell, then launch plasma-desktop with compiz and emerald. ;)

That's a great idea . But I think that would consume a lot of resources . Now, I am using kde 4.3.1 with GNOME-PANEL . Actually , I like the Gnome application launcher very much + all the other stuffs of kde . Since the Kde remembers the applications used in the previous section, I don't need to run gnome -panel everytime I log in . I thing it's better using Gnome panel in the Kde than using plasma-desktop in the Gnome . What do you think ?

hoppipolla
October 11th, 2009, 09:59 AM
hehe Im glad to see people are having fun playing about with their WMs! I also find KDE to be rocket-fast, I even found it comparable to XFCE in the speed it did a lot of stuff!

I also disagree completely with Warpnow's post - I find KDE a very precise and intelligent DE with little or no "non-features". It is also aesthetically gorgeous and thoroughly modern :)

praveesh
October 11th, 2009, 10:12 AM
hehe im glad to see people are having fun playing about with their wms! I also find kde to be rocket-fast, i even found it comparable to xfce in the speed it did a lot of stuff!

I also disagree completely with warpnow's post - i find kde a very precise and intelligent de with little or no "non-features". It is also aesthetically gorgeous and thoroughly modern :)

+1

lovinglinux
October 11th, 2009, 03:22 PM
That's a great idea . But I think that would consume a lot of resources . Now, I am using kde 4.3.1 with GNOME-PANEL . Actually , I like the Gnome application launcher very much + all the other stuffs of kde . Since the Kde remembers the applications used in the previous section, I don't need to run gnome -panel everytime I log in . I thing it's better using Gnome panel in the Kde than using plasma-desktop in the Gnome . What do you think ?

I still prefer the other way. I like most of the core components of Gnome. What I'm doing is gradually experimenting KDE applications, but I think I will stick with my Ukubuntu :)

So far Kate is my default text editor, which is extremely good for programming. I started to use Ktorrent a couple of days ago and I guess I'm ready to replace my beloved Deluge. I'm also using Dolphin more often and just realized Ark is way much better than File Roller, since it can integrate with Dolphin, allowing to open the archives as folders.

What I can't give away is my upper panel, since I like the gnome system monitor applet. It is the only reason I still use a gnome panel. I put the panel below all other windows and use a transparent emerald border, so I can easily spot the CPU usage, network traffic and hdd activity (see screenshot).

Boom!!!
October 11th, 2009, 03:29 PM
+1

+1

hoppipolla
October 11th, 2009, 07:57 PM
What I can't give away is my upper panel, since I like the gnome system monitor applet. It is the only reason I still use a gnome panel. I put the panel below all other windows and use a transparent emerald border, so I can easily spot the CPU usage, network traffic and hdd activity (see screenshot).

Haha that's cool :) You probably can do it with KDE though... although I don't know what the system monitors are like.

lovinglinux
October 11th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Haha that's cool :) You probably can do it with KDE though... although I don't know what the system monitors are like.

They are ugly :lol:

NormanFLinux
October 11th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Kubuntu Netbook Edition has Plasma windows running atop a GNOME shell.

hoppipolla
October 11th, 2009, 10:23 PM
They are ugly :lol:

haha maybe :)

Can you get some others off KDE-Look or widget downloads?

lovinglinux
October 11th, 2009, 10:24 PM
haha maybe :)

Can you get some others off KDE-Look or widget downloads?

Couldn't find any, but I will take a look again.

madjr
October 11th, 2009, 10:29 PM
+1

+1

@hopipolla

thanks for doing something weird like this, i think i will be using gnome shell and i can do it when am in kde also is a huge plus

also from the looks of this vid multitasking and productivity is just plain awesome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL8472OXtAg&feature=related

it would be cool if you let the shell devs know about your findings and integrate it a bit better with a few other desktops like kde, xfce or fluxbox ^^

renkinjutsu
October 11th, 2009, 10:34 PM
I still prefer the other way. I like most of the core components of Gnome. What I'm doing is gradually experimenting KDE applications, but I think I will stick with my Ukubuntu :)

So far Kate is my default text editor, which is extremely good for programming. I started to use Ktorrent a couple of days ago and I guess I'm ready to replace my beloved Deluge. I'm also using Dolphin more often and just realized Ark is way much better than File Roller, since it can integrate with Dolphin, allowing to open the archives as folders.

get conky ;)

But i must warn you, it's very addictive.

lovinglinux
October 11th, 2009, 10:56 PM
get conky ;)

But i must warn you, it's very addictive.

I don't like conky. I have screenlets, which has a nice ring monitor, but the thing is that I don't like to switch to the desktop to see the info.

Can you put conky info horizontally?

hoppipolla
October 11th, 2009, 11:23 PM
+1

@hopipolla

thanks for doing something weird like this, i think i will be using gnome shell and i can do it when am in kde also is a huge plus

also from the looks of this vid multitasking and productivity is just plain awesome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL8472OXtAg&feature=related

it would be cool if you let the shell devs know about your findings and integrate it a bit better with a few other desktops like kde, xfce or fluxbox ^^

I could do, but wouldn't the panel, "Activities" menu and window decorator have to be separated for it to be integrated into KDE better? I mean at the moment in KDE you just end up with 2 panels, 2 "start" buttons and Metacity-esque window decorations! lol

kevdog
October 11th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Yes you can make conky anywhere and any size you want -- like with multiple panels.

days_of_ruin
October 11th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Blasphemy! Besides, KDE4.3.2 (Actually since 4.3.1) has been faster for me than GNOME. Guess Qt really does make a difference..

Yay, anecdotal information!

NoaHall
October 11th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Okay, how about this. Has anyone else with multiple screens tried out gnome-shell? It didn't work great for me.

TheNessus
October 11th, 2009, 11:50 PM
I don't like conky. I have screenlets, which has a nice ring monitor, but the thing is that I don't like to switch to the desktop to see the info.

Can you put conky info horizontally?

yep, just don't break lines in TEXT:, make it a single paragraph. it will line up, at the top of the screen. that's what I do, it's pretty:

hoppipolla
October 12th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Okay, how about this. Has anyone else with multiple screens tried out gnome-shell? It didn't work great for me.

haha no I couldn't imagine it would - what happened exactly? o.O

NoaHall
October 12th, 2009, 03:53 PM
It sort off made the other two screen tear, but my main one was fine. Is it just me?

hoppipolla
October 13th, 2009, 06:45 PM
It sort off made the other two screen tear, but my main one was fine. Is it just me?

I only have one monitor myself so I can't test, and my friend with 2 runs Windoooozzze! hehe :)

Gnome Shell is in development though, so maybe they'll iron it out :)

Does ironing prevent tearing? xD

NoaHall
October 13th, 2009, 06:52 PM
xD That's just not funny. Seriously ;)

Hm. Maybe. I can always load a separate xserver with xfce on, instead of gnome-shell

praveesh
October 13th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Hoppi, you finally mastered in the art of creating and maintaining a thread.

hoppipolla
October 13th, 2009, 08:26 PM
xD That's just not funny. Seriously ;)

Hm. Maybe. I can always load a separate xserver with xfce on, instead of gnome-shell

*nods* :)

Hoppi, you finally mastered in the art of creating and maintaining a thread.

erm... thanks! :D

aaaantoine
October 13th, 2009, 09:51 PM
The idea of Gnome Shell intrigues me. I would like to see some sort of full-screen dashboard that's visible by default when there are no applications loaded, and I think Gnome Shell is a step in that direction. Plasmoids/screenlets/widgets also support that plan.

Up until recently in the major operating systems, all that space has been going to the desktop wallpaper.

hoppipolla
October 13th, 2009, 10:03 PM
The idea of Gnome Shell intrigues me. I would like to see some sort of full-screen dashboard that's visible by default when there are no applications loaded, and I think Gnome Shell is a step in that direction. Plasmoids/screenlets/widgets also support that plan.

Up until recently in the major operating systems, all that space has been going to the desktop wallpaper.

True. I think Gnome Shell has some potential with some rethinking (as I still feel panning all the way back just because someone clicked the Activities menu is a bit much), and I do think it looks quite nice :)

Roasted
November 19th, 2009, 04:58 PM
True. I think Gnome Shell has some potential with some rethinking (as I still feel panning all the way back just because someone clicked the Activities menu is a bit much), and I do think it looks quite nice :)

Although at the moment it looks quite nice, I find it exceptionally non-practical to use in an actual production environment.

I have faith though, and hope they expand on these ideas while still allowing Gnome panels remain. I however have been tinkering with KDE heavily, and I'm liking what I see. This makes me feel more comfortable in the event Gnome Shell turns into a Bomb Shell and rapes us of our option for using the existing Gnome Panels (which some sources have indicated).