PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] mirror screens stops working after log in, works perfectly in kde

Miki800
October 11th, 2009, 04:52 AM
simple - I try to enable the DVI screen I have, it used to be mirrored with the HDMI (which is also the situation before I log in)

now whenever I try to enable it using the appropriate gui utility for doing so (can't remember it's name, I'm using kde for now since only that works for me right now. but it was definitely the only one possible from one of the configuration menus)

... whenever I try to enable the DVI screen I get prompt for my password since it will "change the virtual screen" thingy (wth?)

and after I'm done giving the password and also press apply nothing happens :| err... yeah.

then I get this transparent error message telling me that the configuration that I selected cannot be applied (wth?#2)

or sometimes it tells me that in order to apply the configuration which I selected I need to log out and log in again (wth?#3 in kde this is not the case, things are much simpler by the means of - it just works)

whenever I'm in the log in screen I have my 2 screens mirrored, which is perfect for me! (also at the resolution I want)
so why can't it just stay the way it is? I don't want gnome to start changing things which works when I NEVER TOLD IT TO.

what I'm trying to say is that I don't remember applying such configuration myself and I need to stop it from changing by other means ever again, I need to have control over my computer, open source software should give you that more then anything else.

for now I'm using kde, I don't like it since I do not have addable-mappable-extra-hot-keys to set at will in here and I work a lot with hot keys, gnome was more enable-ish in that way but the stupid screens issue is the only problem I have with it right now so please help me fix it so I can return to it.

[edit]also I do not like the fact that kde dooes not recognize (hence can not map) my fn keys (extra non-standard keys on my M$ natural ergonomic 4000 keyboard)

gnome had no problem doing that

KDE PPL - gnome is open source, just steal from them the 'how they are doing that' already.. lol :P