PDA

View Full Version : Google's mobile-OS could capture 14% of the market by 2012 and jump into second place

HappinessNow
October 11th, 2009, 04:05 AM
Building on Android's fresh momentum, Gartner forecasts that Google's mobile- operating system could capture 14% of the market by 2012 and jump into second place. Right now Nokia Corp. (NOK) is the clear market leader with nearly 50%, followed by Research In Motion Ltd. (RIMM), Apple Inc. (AAPL) and Microsoft Corp. (MSFT). Market share for those three companies range between 10% to 15%.http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20091009-712596.html

Preceding this quote from the Wall Street Journal:

Sprint Nextel Corp. (S) plans to start selling its first Android-based phone, the HTC Hero, and Verizon Wireless will follow suit shortly after with two Android devices. Verizon Wireless is owned by Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ) and U.K.-based Vodafone Group plc (VOD). In the near future, AT&T reportedly will climb aboard the bandwagon with an Android smartphone developed by computer maker Dell Inc. (DELL), according to The Wall Street Journal. That would give Google a foothold with the four largest U.S. wireless carriers.
The brokerage Stifel Nicolaus now estimates 30 Android-based phones - about 50% more than anticipated - will become available in the U.S. and overseas by the end of 2009.
"We continue to believe that additional Android-powered devices, additional wireless carriers and additional applications will likely lead to market share gains for Android," analyst George Askew wrote in a report.
http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20091009-712596.html

Dimitriid
October 11th, 2009, 04:44 AM
I'll give it a try on my netbook, although I don't like the idea of it being crippled by default if its online.

HappinessNow
October 11th, 2009, 04:47 AM
I'll give it a try on my netbook, although I don't like the idea of it being crippled by default if its online.?

Mr. Picklesworth
October 11th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Heh, my mistake. I accidentally read "Google mobile-OS" as Chrome OS, which random "experts" pretend they know anything about. (Hint: they probably know less than we do, which is nothing except that it runs on the Linux kernel and has the name Chrome OS). This was an angry rant along those lines, but is no longer because the topic is, in fact, Android... which analysts do have some reason to make forecasts about :)

HappinessNow
October 11th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Heh, my mistake. I accidentally read "Google mobile-OS" as Chrome OS, which random "experts" pretend they know anything about. (Hint: they probably know less than we do, which is nothing except that it runs on the Linux kernel and has the name Chrome OS). This was an angry rant along those lines, but is no longer because the topic is, in fact, Android... which analysts do have some reason to make forecasts about :)No worries, I never saw your original post. :P

Dimitriid
October 11th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Heh, my mistake. I accidentally read "Google mobile-OS" as Chrome OS

Same here.

3rdalbum
October 11th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Android phones need to be cheaper. Here in Australia, you can get an iPhone on a $40 cap, or the second HTC Android phone on an $80 cap. Hmm... I wonder which one most people will choose?

It's just a pity that the Kogan Android phone fell through. Even I would have bought one.