PDA

View Full Version : Emacs question

Houman
February 12th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Hello;

A while back I decided to give Emacs a chance for programming ( C/C++). But after while I left it for eclipse in frustration. The biggest problem for me was the fact that I couldnt browse my classes (or files) from the same window the way you can do in Visual Studio or Eclipse (or any other new IDE).

In fact, I had to keep every file open in a new emacs frame and if I needed it I would have to switch my window.

But, I met a friend of mine who is an avid vi user and he said there must be a feature like that called code explore (or something similar) in emacs because he said vi has that feaature and so must emacs;

However, I still havnt been able to find that feature in emacs, does anyone know if there is a way to edit a file and at the same time be able to access all of your classes/files from that same window without having to explicitly open them when you need them?

thank you for any suggestions, I really would like ot take another shot at emacs;

Houman

kaamos
February 12th, 2006, 05:07 PM
C-x b switches between buffers. But as that sucks in the long run, you could look in to this -> http://ecb.sourceforge.net/

Houman
February 12th, 2006, 05:36 PM
hi kaamos;
thank you so much for your reply, that looks like exactly what i need;

but isnt it strange that a text editor which is known for having too many features wouldnt have such an essential feature (so we have to get an addon?)

and how come vi has this feature and not emacs? Also i read something about Ctags, could that possibly be a substitute for ecb? or can be used in conjunction with it?

thanks again for any replies;

Lux Perpetua
February 13th, 2006, 07:40 AM
This is probably a silly question, but does Emacs actually support antialiased fonts now? Because that screenshot looks a lot prettier than my current installation of Emacs (21.3.1).

kaamos
February 13th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Oh yes -> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=126023

Lux Perpetua
February 13th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Sweet! (installing now)