PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Icons, menus, drives and permissions

Luxx
October 11th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Every couple of months I seem to have a drive that stops working and I have to figure out how to get it working again. The solution is never quite the same and I always have other problems that pop up once the original problem is solved. The drives I have problems with can be optical drives (CDrom, DVD), USB, or floppy; any drive other than the HDD.

This time the floppy drive wouldn't mount, umount, format, etc. I eventually figured out I just needed to enable the floppy feature as it was off by default, even though it worked before, but perhaps before the upgrade to Karmic.

Now for the list of domino side-effects:
1. When I insert a flopy disk in the drive the symbol for the Floppy Drive changes from a drive icon to a floppy icon and the name is 1.5 MB Media instead of Floppy Drive. This remains when I remove the floppy disk from the drive and doesn't change back until I reboot.
2. I now have a bookmarks folder in the Places menu instead of having Music, Pictures, Video, and CDROM listed under Places as they were before, and the Bookmarks folder list is a little different: Music, Pictures, Video, disk, cdrom0, cdrom.
3. I no longer have the menu at the left of the window after selecting an item from the Places menu. This limits my navigation a small degree, but is extremely frustrating.
4. The USB drive, which was not connected to the computer when the floppy feature was enabled, has suddenly developed duplicate file allocation tables which do not match, the user group is now root instead of user and the file system is read-only.... again. This happened a few months ago with no known cause, although around that same time I was having trouble getting the DVD drive to mount. I thought the problem was solved for good when I formatted the USB drive with VFAT.

I have googled and come across some bug reports with similar problems but they have been solved - no fixes that I can use. I am thinking there must be something going on with my system because these problems don't really seem to be related, but all happened at the same time just a few minutes after enabling the floppy feature in Ubuntu Karmic (Studio). Does anybody have any ideas what could be causing this?

Also does anybody have any links or suggestions to how to fix the domino-effect problems I have now? I found other people having trouble with the Places menu and their Bookmarks, but could only find how to add a Bookmarks folder top Places, not how to remove one and save the Bookmarks in the Places menu itself.

Right now I'm trying to reformat the USB again. I forgot how to get around the permissions problems.

Thanks for any help or input.

Luxx