PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu training

Bill N.
October 10th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Hello everyone, I live in Hanover Pa. and a close friend of mine has 5 Ubuntu computers all networked together in his home. Our thoughts are to start some basic Linux training. Does anyone have any thoughts on this and how would you suggest we advertise? Any input is welcome and thanks in advance. Bill N.

elizabeth
October 11th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Hi Bill,

Our thoughts are to start some basic Linux training. Does anyone have any thoughts on this and how would you suggest we advertise? Any input is welcome and thanks in advance. Bill N.

We've actually discussed this some for our FreeGeekPenn Collaboration project (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PennsylvaniaTeam/CommunityOutreachTeam/FreeGeekPenn) as one of the ideas for this project was launching a series of classes which would be advertised there at FGP, at local universities and other community centers (a lot of community gathering places have tack boards where you can ask to post things). Unrelated to our projects, I work with one fellow I know from up in Massachusetts actually carries training fliers for the weekly training sessions the MA team does around with him so when he finds an appropriate spot to advertise, he puts one up.

Related to this training, you might be interested in checking out the Ubuntu Community Learning Project (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Learning) (main project info at the top, scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the buttons linking to the 5 major focuses of the course development). In short - the project seeks to develop Ubuntu training courses in several areas for LoCo teams and others to use to teach Ubuntu. The "How to Use Ubuntu" section is about desktop stuff and is actively being developed (although no courses have been released yet) and the "How to Maintain Ubuntu" has about 10 courses already released about sysadmin tasks and is currently being taught up in MA. So this might not be a great *resource* for you at this moment, the project needs more volunteers who are interested in teaching these classes and writing down notes for what they teach in their classes (perhaps even helping to write courses!).