PDA

View Full Version : Why you shouldn't use Arch Linux

xArv3nx
October 10th, 2009, 11:27 PM
so, I just got done installing Arch Linux a few hours ago and had a problem, so I went to the IRC channel for some help.

[18:16] <Befolked> Does anyone know why whenever I suspend to ram, my desktop effects turn off when I resume the computer?
[18:16] <Ghost1227> Befolked: compiz fail
[18:16] <Befolked> Ghost1227, what?
[18:17] <Sharn> Befolked: because desktop effects are for ubuntards?

I'm sure this doesn't happen frequently, but two things here:

1) I'm not a newbie, I've been using Linux since I was 12 (MDK 10)
2) This happens a lot when I visit the IRC channel (and I'm not talking about this happening to just me)

Just a warning: If you depend on the community for tech. help, don't use Arch Linux.

dragos240
October 10th, 2009, 11:31 PM
*facepalm*
http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/facepalm.jpg

NoaHall
+1 for no community for Arch.

xArv3nx
*facepalm*
Great, thanks for your input.

dragos240
October 10th, 2009, 11:33 PM
I have asked that community issues time and time again, and they always provide the help I need. Even when I mess my computer up near the point of not being able to fix it.

xArv3nx
October 10th, 2009, 11:35 PM
I have asked that community issus time and time again, and they always provide the help I need. Even when I mess my computer up near the point of not being able to fix it.
Good for you.

wilee-nilee
October 10th, 2009, 11:36 PM
The IRC channels are not moderated what did you expect.

murderslastcrow
October 10th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Just imagine how they would treat Windows users thinking to switch. XD

ArchLinux isn't too shabby, though.

CJ Master
Yes, we should all judge a community because of one person.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. But do not blame it on all of their community.

dragos240
Please. All I'm saying is that arch is a stable distro, and just because your experience wasn't the best, doesn't mean you should flame it.

coldReactive
October 10th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Please. All I'm saying is that arch is a stable distro, and just because your experience wasn't the best, doesn't mean you should flame it.

And it wouldn't be best in my experience with all the stuff you have to do just to set it up.

RiceMonster
October 10th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Not another one of these threads...

CJ Master
October 10th, 2009, 11:41 PM
And it wouldn't be best in my experience with all the stuff you have to do just to set it up.

You're not who they're targeting. ;)

Not another one of these threads...

But they're so fun!!! :(

xArv3nx
October 10th, 2009, 11:41 PM
my experience is fine, I just think the community is horrid. once again, i'm not the only one this has happened to.

sure, arch linux is nice. I'm still using it (and it isn't the first time I've installed it). I just think the community isn't very nice. maybe the forum is better..

dragos240
October 10th, 2009, 11:42 PM

Honestly. I've reinstalled the system many times. It takes about 30 minutes to get a base system set up.

overdrank
October 10th, 2009, 11:42 PM
We are not here to bash other communities. Thread closed