PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Modifying/Creating Custom Kernel

Pelsia
October 10th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I've been searching through the forums and have found several good guides on how to update and install a new kernel, but none on how to edit one to include/exclude specific devices (I've got an intel 3945ABG wireless card that apparently needs to be activated in the kernel).

Until moving to Ubuntu I'd exclusively used FreeBSD (as a server, via command line only) where editing the kernel is done with vi and then compiled once the changes are made. I admit that much of the ease of functionality with installation of modules with Ubuntu is done very well, though being used to creating makefiles and installing everything manually makes all this is a bit new to me.

Is there a way to edit the kernel file (obviously prior to compiling and installing) either graphically or through vi? So far I've been coming up blank in this area in my forum searches and looking through various documentation sources.

Rich_Roast
October 10th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Make menuconfig ? Sorry, might not have understood the post.

Pelsia
October 11th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Sorry for the confusing post, I was able to fix my problem by editing one of the init.conf files to initialize the device at bootup rather than having to recompile a new kernel. My laptop has the infamous intel 3945ABG wireless card and was a royal pain to get the thing working.