PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] gnome-settings-daemon cpu usage

blakecraw
October 10th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I use openbox, with my appearance properties set from my .gtkrc-2.0 file. I don't use gnome-settings-daemon, but occasionally I run something that invokes it (such as the keyboard preferences dialog, etc).

Whenever gnome-settings-daemon starts, it immediately goes to 20-100% cpu usage (as do some gnome applications that interact with it, such as gnome-panel, all the applets, etc). The only way to fix this is to kill gnome-settings-daemon, and all the affected applications, then they work fine when I restart them (as long as gsd isn't running).

I created a new user to test this, and with that user, whether I'm in GNOME or openbox, there is no problem with gnome-settings-daemon.

Does anybody know what I need to change with my configuration to fix this?

blakecraw
October 20th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Still bugging me, any ideas?

mcduck
October 20th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Try starting gnome-settings-daemon from a terminal and check if you see any error messages...

blakecraw
October 21st, 2009, 12:41 AM
The only error message I get is:

(gnome-settings-daemon:11082): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_propagate_error: assertion `src != NULL' failed

(gnome-settings-daemon:11082): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_propagate_error: assertion `src != NULL' failed

which I also get when I run gnome-settings-daemon as a different user (which does not cause a problem).

The various programs that get bogged down by g-s-d don't give any error messages when I start it.

blakecraw
October 25th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Still an issue, and one that I would like to get fixed before upgrading to 9.10 as I may need to use some of the gnome programs (keyboard/mouse preferences, etc) to smooth the upgrade process.