PDA

View Full Version : how fast/memory efficient is ubuntu on vmware

kakashi
February 12th, 2006, 02:37 PM
hi all. i have this problem i just installed windows (and updraged my computer) to play games but i hate using windows for anything other than gaming. so i figure i'll install vmware player and use the built image of ubuntu to use all my favoutrite linux apps (so many apps) and do all my work .

i want to know how much slower will all the work be in linux. will it use too much ram ()compared to running it natively)

kakashi
February 17th, 2006, 12:26 PM
bump

PatrickMay16
February 17th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Why don't you just run Ubuntu normally, and reboot into windows whenever you need to?

gord
February 17th, 2006, 01:31 PM
you will effectivly have two operating systems running, so thats twice as much ram from the get-go. it'll also be much slower since everything is emulated instead of just running nativly.

if your set against installing it many linux programs have win32 ports but i would suggest installing ubuntu and duel booting

kakashi
February 17th, 2006, 03:35 PM
dual booting is a pain in the ***.
also i have a pretty power full comp (thats why i need to game..or can game on it)

i am currently running the above setup. infact i thinks its better than running ubuntu nativle.
all my hardware works.
my games work without restarting.

i have only becnched one program so far
mencoder (with xvid and fixed_quant=10) and that gave me encoding speed of 100 fps. (though that maybe cuz of SSE3).

i would like to tell that their is not much difference in speed..amybe 70% probably not more.
also advatages iunclude windows does not hog ram. even running for long pf usage does not go high. (it used to when i surfed and downloded in winodows)
and its more secure.

LordHunter317
February 17th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Actually, RAM usage with VMWare ought to be quite a bit worse, as VMware locks quite a bit of the VM into memory, preventing it from being paged out.