PDA

View Full Version : Where do you like to use your laptop the most?

Derek Djons
February 12th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I thought it was funny to start this thread.

I like to use my laptop on my bed. I always have it within hand reach away from me. On free days I wake up in the morning and check out fresh news on the internet with a nice breakfast and coffee next to me :)

Also when I usually get home from I'd like to grab a beer and sit down on my bed, login to Ubuntu forums and check out what's going on.

Where do you hang out with your laptop?

eMuNiX
February 12th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Normally in the living room when my wife has soaps on I can surf.

wrtpeeps
February 12th, 2006, 02:16 PM
i wish i had a laptop.... :(

BoyOfDestiny
February 12th, 2006, 02:16 PM
The bathroom.

ubunoob
February 12th, 2006, 02:57 PM
The bathroom.

One handed?

somuchfortheafter
February 12th, 2006, 03:12 PM
bed, church (I run the multimedia stuff in the back), work, on-site computer repairs, car, etc, etc it goes where i go. I would say school but im not allowed to use computers there anymore lol.

zenwhen
February 12th, 2006, 03:47 PM
In bed.

Lovechild
February 12th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Within range of a socket since the battery is dead.

I used to like going to a coffee shop and doing homework there in peace.

Minyaliel
February 12th, 2006, 04:59 PM
At school and on the couch... oh, and I usually configure my KAlarm to wake me up with an mp3 from my collection in the morning :) I usually take it with me anywhere I go, being an artsy person I often get inspiration which I have to jot down/ do something about straight away, even if I'm standing in line for something or am just walking down the street or something :P Which makes me quite happy that I'm living in one of the most harmless cities in all of Europe ;) lolz

byen
February 12th, 2006, 05:09 PM
I have this daily routine where I spend about an hour browsing on my bed before I go to sleep. Have been doing it for over a year now. Other than that...Its with me on my couch while watching tv. And since my laptop is the only computer I own...its with me wherever I sit.

PS_ By the way...at the risk of hijacking this thread...how long do you guys leave the laptop on? I wanna go days..but Im a little worried I might burn my motherboard with the heat.. (its usually at abt 60C)

Minyaliel
February 12th, 2006, 06:59 PM
I have this daily routine where I spend about an hour browsing on my bed before I go to sleep. Have been doing it for over a year now. Other than that...Its with me on my couch while watching tv. And since my laptop is the only computer I own...its with me wherever I sit.

PS_ By the way...at the risk of hijacking this thread...how long do you guys leave the laptop on? I wanna go days..but Im a little worried I might burn my motherboard with the heat.. (its usually at abt 60C)

Only as long as I need it, really - I've configured it so it turns itself off when I take down the screen, quite handy feature, that. Anyways, I might leave it on during the night if I'm downloading something big on p2p.

xmastree
February 13th, 2006, 02:38 AM
My main computer is my desktop.
My laptop (http://www.xmastree.34sp.com/laptop) is more of a project, and too old/unreliable to use much.
However, I've been doing a lot of printing lately, graphics stuff so...
Since my Canon i560 isn't that well supported in linux and this computer slows down when I try to print loads anyway, I've been using it for the printing.
I transfer the data via usb drive as there's no network card in it, and until I can be sure it's reliable I'm not planning to buy one.
I can't print more than two or three pages at once, or it has a thrombo, but since I'm right next to it at the that's not a problem.

So, where do i use it? I use it on a stool by the printer. :-)

Sp@z
February 13th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Mine has Windows 98 on it. I don't use it LOL

briancurtin
February 13th, 2006, 07:17 AM

the longest uptime ive had with my laptop is 9 days i think. i have a pretty powerful laptop (p4-HT 3.2, 1 gb mem) and i was running windowmaker at the time, so i could barely tell it was turned on. it usually goes for 3-4 days then i turn it off for the hell of it.

briancurtin
February 13th, 2006, 07:19 AM
mine never leaves my desk. it was the first computer i bought, my sophomore year in college and i wanted a laptop because i thought id take it around...but i bought a widescreen HP so its a beast (in size and in performance). it is considered a "desktop replacement" type laptop, and i really just use it on my desktop. thinking back, i really wish i had a desktop rather than a laptop.

Klaidas
February 13th, 2006, 11:24 AM
I wish I had a laptop, LOL :)

DaMasta
February 13th, 2006, 11:42 AM
I used to like going to a coffee shop and doing homework there in peace.
I don't know how anyone finds peace at a coffee shop.:confused:

psychicdragon
February 13th, 2006, 12:38 PM
At school mostly. Sometimes if the weather is nice I do my browsing, school work, or whatever on the patio.

m@dm@x
February 13th, 2006, 03:30 PM
I don't have a laptop.

My question for you Derek, is what beer do you drink? I usually drink a homebrew around the computer.

eMuNiX
February 13th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Only as long as I need it, really - I've configured it so it turns itself off when I take down the screen, quite handy feature, that. Anyways, I might leave it on during the night if I'm downloading something big on p2p.
Ours was on 24/7 for over 6months got a bit warm but was fine. It only died when replaced the external power supply which has blown the charging circuit amongst other things oh well it was time to replace her anyway (Compaq Armada 7400 is a bit long in the tooth :-k )

Derek Djons
February 13th, 2006, 11:49 PM
I don't have a laptop.

My question for you Derek, is what beer do you drink? I usually drink a homebrew around the computer.

Since I don't posses the necessary skilss I drink beer from the supermarket.

- Hertog Jan (in English probably Count or Duke Jan). It's really sweet beer.
- Palm. Always goes in.
- Duvel. That it really heavy dark beer... :) two glasses and I start to get warm.

cro.smiley
February 14th, 2006, 12:04 AM
I use it the most on my desk cause it safe that i won't
fall a sleep at night. But I use it also in bed very often.
Sometimes i use it in car when driving with someone.

rado_london
February 14th, 2006, 01:02 AM
I use it in the train to college as well as in the toilet during my long morning sessions over there hahahahaha.

beercz
February 14th, 2006, 01:06 AM
Everywhere!!!

Well, it feels like it! If it's not switched on it is usually in transit to somewhere where it will be switched on!

matthew
February 14th, 2006, 01:08 AM
In order of usage:

desk
bed
couch
hotel
coffee shop
restaurant
meeting/conference room
friend's house

Sp@z
February 14th, 2006, 02:41 AM
Thank you Derek, after I made my post that I don't use it cause it has windows 98 on it, I went ahead and installed ubuntu on it. (I did this once before, and it was horrid) but this time seems to be much better! I dunno where I use it the most, but I will let you know!

eriqk
February 14th, 2006, 03:52 AM
I've been using it at work, lately. Our versions of MS Office and Dreamweaver are OS 9 only (iow, ancient), and this way I can run Bluefish and Abiword. Abiword is a piece of poo on OS 10.2 (at least on my eMac) and I can't get Bluefish installed, so this is a great way of advertising Ubuntu and getting some work done at the same time.

Groet, Erik