PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode

watsonsun
October 10th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Pse Help -- newbee
Ubuntu 9.04 was running beautifully for months. Did an update and had all sorts of errors. Thought that I could just reinstall the whole ubuntu desktop and get it going again -- wrong!! After the new installation, I got this message

ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode

EE GARTinit: unable to open /dev/agpgart (No such file or directory)
EE drm drm Open failed
EE intel(O) dri DRIScreeninit failed/ Disabling DRI
EE intel(O) Failed to allocate framebuffer. Is your VideoRam set too low?
EE intel(O) Couldnt allocate video memory

My mouse also did not work. Tried reinstalling a few times and got the same message. When I accept the low resolution mode, the screen appeared normal, but only occupied 4/5 th of the monitor. Unfortunately without a mouse, I do not know how to get the terminal working.

I tried reinstallation many times, each time deleting the partition and recreating the partition. But the same results.

Strange, when I run ubuntu 9.04 from my CD, without installation, everything is ok, ie no resolution or mouse problems.

My system is on dual boot with Win 7

Would appreciate any help, thanks

tommcd
October 10th, 2009, 10:52 AM
To get to a virtual terminal hit: ctrl + alt + F2 and login.
See what modules are being loaded:

lsmod | less
Use the up and down arrow keys to scroll through the output.
I use intel video on my laptop. I have these drivers loaded (among many others):
drm agpgart intel_agp
Verify that those drivers are being loaded. If any are not listed then:
First hit the "q" key to exit from less. Then stop the X server :

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
Then load any of those drivers that were not loaded:

sudo modprobe drm agpgart intel_agp
If you can't modprobe them all at once then modprobe them one at a time.
Then restart X:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
It should take you to the Ubuntu login screen. If it doesn't then hit: ctrl + alt + F7. See if the video is ok.
If this works we can add those modules to your /etc/modules file so they load automatically at bootup.

watsonsun
October 11th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Hi Tommcd

thanks for the direction.
when I enterred

lsmod | less, I get the following
usb_storage
r8169
mii
fbcon
tileblit
font
bitblit
softcursor

I then typed
sudo modprobe drm agpgart intel_agp
I get
FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.28-15-server/modules.dep: No such file or directory

Sorry for asking a foolish question. What does this statement mean:
If you can't modprobe them all at once then modprobe them one at a time.
Am I supposed to type
sudo manprobe r8169, mii, fbcon ... ?

When I typed sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
I get back to the low-graphics mode

I tried to start the by typing startx
I get
FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.28-15-server/modules.dep: No such file or directory
EE drm drm Open failed
EE intel(O) dri DRIScreeninit failed/ Disabling DRI
EE intel(O) Failed to allocate framebuffer. Is your VideoRam set too low?
EE intel(O) Couldnt allocate video memory

Like what I mentioned earlier, when I run ubuntu 9.04 from the same CD, without installation, everything is ok. No problem with my screen

watsonsun
October 11th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I fail to mention that when I type
lsmod | less

the list that showed did not include
drm agpgart intell_agp

I then typed
sudo modprobe drm agpgart intell_agp

I get

when I tried to do a listing on that directory, I only get
2.6.28-11-generic.
there is no directory 2.6.28-15-server

Thanks

tommcd
October 11th, 2009, 04:11 PM
When I said to modprobe them 1 at a time, I was referring to the 3 modules I listed in bold type: drm agpgart intel_agp. So to modprobe the 1 at a time it would be:

sudo modprobe drm
sudo modprobe agpgart
sudo modprobe intel_agp

So look for those 3 modules in the output of lsmod. If any of those 3 modules are not listed then modprobe them as I listed here.
I don't know why you are getting the:

error. Did you install Ubuntu 9.04 from the server install CD or the minimal install CD or something?
Try modprobing the 3 drivers I listed after stopping the X server (sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop, then restart the X server (sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start) as per my last post.
If that doesn't work, the only other thing I can suggest is to boot to recovery mode and choose the option xfix fix the video and then reboot and see if that fixes your desktop.

watsonsun
October 11th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Silly me. Will try your suggestion when I reach home and have access to my desktop.
sudo modprobe drm
sudo modprobe agpgart
sudo modprobe intel_agp

I installed my desktop from a CD, whose image I downloaded from the internet. I have used this CD on my notebook and it installed very smoothly. When I used this CD to run Ubuntu (from CD) without installing on the desktop, it also worked smoothly.

I have tried installing about 3 times now, each time deleting and recreating the partition, and everytime, the same results, ie low - graphics mode. Also it kept refering to this directory 2.6.28-15-server. The only sub-directory that exist is 2.6.28-11-generic

Thanks very much for your help and patience. Will get back to you with the results asap.

watsonsun
October 11th, 2009, 07:11 PM
ok, tried

sudo modprobe drm
sudo modprobe agpgart
sudo modprobe intel_agp

got similar errors for all
tried
sudo apt-get install drm - couldn't find package
sudo apt-get install agpgard - couldn't find package
sudo apt-get install intel_agp - couldn't find package

Tried as instructed below was unsuccessful
'If that doesn't work, the only other thing I can suggest is to boot to recovery mode and choose the option xfix fix the video and then reboot and see if that fixes your desktop'

Still get low-graphics mode.

Can anyone tell me why it is looking for 2.6.28-15-server. The only sub-directory that exist on my desktop is 2.6.28-11-generic. Also my CD is Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop.

I have reinstalled many times, using both the image for desktop and also for server, but the same low-graphics result.

However, if I run it direct from my CD, without installing, there is no problem

Thanks to all.

watsonsun
October 12th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I must apologise to commcd. After all his advise and hard work, i found that the problem was created by me. I initially installed and ran on Ubuntu 9.04 server. however after a rogue update, my system crashed. I then deleted the partition and installed ubuntu 9.04 desktop. As there were many previous installations shown in my startup screen, i always assumed that the one on top was the latest. However in this instance, the top link was an old installation of my 9.04 server, which was deleted when I deleted my partition. So when I tried to start my ubuntu with this link, it was looking for the server directories and I ended up getting the error

When I clicked on the correct link, ie 9.04 desktop, everything worked ok.

Once again thank you all and consider this thread closed

tommcd
October 13th, 2009, 10:40 AM
No apology needed. Glad you got it fixed. I guess I was on the right track when I asked about Ubuntu server.