PDA

View Full Version : Sun VirtualBox

Exodist
October 10th, 2009, 09:28 AM
After reading an article on Toms Hardware about running WinXP on Sun Virtual Box I thought I would give it a try. Its free-of-charge software allowing you to install any OS on its own virtual system.

http://www.virtualbox.org/

After setting it up which only took two mins. I installed WinXP and it installed without a hitch. I still dont have the real video drivers installed or sound working on it. But never the less, the way it is now it would be perfect for those that have a few apts that they must run on Windows and they can not live without. Its perfect for office use. I am still hoping I can get all the multimedia goodies running because I have two best friends of mine wanting to Linux as main OS, but both are gamers and WoW addics. But never the less, this is perfect for those M$ Office or Photoshop users.

Cheers,
Exo

OpenGuard
October 10th, 2009, 09:40 AM
You've finally discovered something we all have used for years :p Pretty interesting stuff, isn't it ?

Exodist
October 10th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I have seen VM ware for many years, just never known Sun MS had a free one. But honestly hardly anyone here ever mentions it. I been a hardcore linux user since 1998, but I guess we all can overlook something from time to time. :)

RichardLinx
October 10th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Heh, I remember when this was new. It was real exciting when I first learned about it... a few years ago. :P

Falc7
October 10th, 2009, 10:39 AM
If you find out how to get the sound working, post here please

Mehall
October 10th, 2009, 10:39 AM
just to let you know, while photoshop doesnt (yet), WoW runs great in wine.

SpriteSODA
October 10th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Honestly I now manage to do everything I did with Photoshop in the Gimp.

Exodist
October 10th, 2009, 11:07 AM
just to let you know, while photoshop doesnt (yet), WoW runs great in wine.

Speaking of WINE and WoW. I had really big issue with my Wrath DVD not installing. Everything else installed without a hitch.

Exodist
October 10th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Honestly I now manage to do everything I did with Photoshop in the Gimp.

Same here, I been using GIMP for so long I find it much better.

Bölvağur
October 10th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I still dont have the real video drivers installed or sound working on it.

The computer is a virtual computer and doesn't connect to your hardware but a layer in your OS. So having the real video drivers would make no sense as it isnt using the hardware directly.

If that makes sense.

noelvh
October 10th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I have been using Vbox for a few years now, and the only issue I have ever had was getting the USB to work. I have USB working, as well as sound and other things. For sound you can switch between Sound blaster, or ac97 sound cards in the options for the Virtual machine. Also make sure the setting is using the correct Linux sound.
When you start Vbox, on the right scrol down to audio and select it. Make sure the check is in enable Audio. Then adjust from there. It dose take a bit to test the settings as you have to reboot allot thill you get it.

I hope this helps.
Noel