PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] [ MySQL ] How to select only unique rows ?

OpenGuard
October 10th, 2009, 09:16 AM
$query = mysql_query("SELECT DISTINCT alias FROM accounts");This will return all unique alias fields, but I need other row fields as well. I mean, I need something like SELECT * FROM accounts, but only if current alias isn't already selected. Currently there are no duplicate entries, but I know they can occur.

http://i37.tinypic.com/30w36hj.png

Any ideas ? I know I could select all unique aliases and then go through a loop and select all values, one by one, but there should be an easier way of doing this ?

v8YKxgHe
October 10th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Can you explain further? Not quite understanding what you mean. Only to select rows where 'alias' only exists once? So it would select those 3 rows in the image, but if there were 2 rows with the same 'alias' value, it would not be returned?

OpenGuard
October 10th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Can you explain further? Not quite understanding what you mean. Only to select rows where 'alias' only exists once? So it would select those 3 rows in the image, but if there were 2 rows with the same 'alias' value, it would not be returned?

In this case, it would return 3 rows, but if I would add another row with an alias "wmz" ( which already exists ), it would still return only 3 rows, not 4 ( as there would be 2 "wmz" alias rows ). I simply need something similar to DISTINCT, except, I need it to return a full row, not only some specific fields value.

hal10000
October 10th, 2009, 11:00 AM
SELECT alias FROM accounts

OpenGuard
October 10th, 2009, 12:01 PM
SELECT alias FROM accounts

It'll select all rows, which means that if there will be two identical aliases, I will get them both. The idea is to create a form with <select>, where I should see only unique values, not 2x "wmz", 1x "wmr", etc.!

SELECT DISTINCT alias FROM accounts

This will return only alias column .. is there a way to edit this query so that it would return the whole row, not only alias field ?

NoaHall
October 10th, 2009, 12:15 PM
SELECT alias FROM accounts WHERE alias=alias
?

Not quite sure what you want though.

Tony Flury
October 10th, 2009, 12:20 PM
If you had this data :

Alias Name
wmz Tony
xyp Michael
wmz Barry

What would you want the query to return - for instance if you could get it to only return one row with the alias "wmz", what value for Name would you want it to return ?

hal10000
October 10th, 2009, 12:31 PM
This will return only alias column .. is there a way to edit this query so that it would return the whole row, not only alias field ?

try

SELECT DISTINCT alias, id, name, account FROM accounts

OpenGuard
October 10th, 2009, 12:33 PM
If you had this data :

Alias Name Commission
wmz Tony 0.02
xyp Michael 0.00
wmz Barry 0.02
What would you want the query to return - for instance if you could get it to only return one row with the alias "wmz", what value for Name would you want it to return ?

Ok, firstly, I modified your example ( I hope that's ok ? ). You see, no matter how many wmz's you will add, commission field will always be the same. I need to get all unique aliases and associative commission rates.

The output should be something like this:

wmz - 0.02
xyp - 0.00

OpenGuard
October 10th, 2009, 12:35 PM
try

SELECT DISTINCT alias, id, name, account FROM accounts

Bingo! Thank you :)