PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New Install, New to Ubuntu

captainjy
October 10th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Hi everyone. I am pretty new to Ubuntu and have installed 9.04 on a Dell 2850. Everything seemed to install fine and I can connect to it with VNC, but the biggest issue I am facing is really slow performance. Windows seem to lag when dragginga and even the Internet is slow on this box. I followed a procedure to ensure that my Radeon 7000 is installed correctly. Is there something I missed during install? Any suggestions are appreciated!

ExquisiteDeadGuy
October 10th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Hi everyone. I am pretty new to Ubuntu and have installed 9.04 on a Dell 2850. Everything seemed to install fine and I can connect to it with VNC, but the biggest issue I am facing is really slow performance. Windows seem to lag when dragginga and even the Internet is slow on this box. I followed a procedure to ensure that my Radeon 7000 is installed correctly. Is there something I missed during install? Any suggestions are appreciated!

It sounds like you don't have native video drivers installed. You can try going to System/Administration/Hardware Drivers and making sure it's set up to use a restricted driver. It'll give you a bunch of warnings before installing.

Hope that helps.

captainjy
October 13th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Great, thanks! I will try this out. Any drivers need to be installed before or during Ubuntu installation?