PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else keep panning back and forward in the Gnome Shell coz it looks good?

hoppipolla
October 10th, 2009, 04:21 AM
I find myself doing it when I'm thinking or bored, just panning back over the desktops, zooming in on one, panning back again, choosing another... lol

Weird o.O

praveesh
October 10th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Gnome shell doesn't look good

hoppipolla
October 10th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Gnome shell doesn't look good

I think it does! I think it's silly, but I think it looks good! :)

damis648
October 10th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Yhup. :popcorn:

lovinglinux
October 10th, 2009, 05:35 AM
This is a joke right?

I have tried it a couple of months ago in Jaunty and today in Karmic. It still sucks really bad. The performance is good, the interface is bloated and the usability is terrible. I like a clean desktop, not a fancy menu that takes all the screen and requires a bunch of clicks to get things done.

I'm wondering what Gnome devs had in mind when they came up with that concept. Seriously! I don't like to be negative and bash other peoples work, but I can't refrain myself from criticizing Gnome-shell, specially considering it won't be possible to run compiz with it and disabling it will probably means "no more panels, menus and other gnome stuff". Some people hate compiz or think it's just eye-candy, but it really makes my workflow easier.

I guess when it becomes default, it will be one of the first things I will disable after a fresh install, along with Remote Desktop or perhaps switch to KDE. I'm already trying some KDE applications. So far I love Kate, Ktorrent will probably take over Deluge as my favorite BitTorrent client and Dolphin has some nice features. I still like the simplicity of Nautilus tho.

hoppipolla
October 10th, 2009, 05:40 AM
This is a joke right?

I have tried it a couple of months ago in Jaunty and today in Karmic. It still sucks really bad. The performance is good, the interface is bloated and the usability is terrible. I like a clean desktop, not a fancy menu that takes all the screen and requires a bunch of clicks to get things done.

I'm wondering what Gnome devs had in mind when they came up with that concept. Seriously! I don't like to be negative and bash other peoples work, but I can't refrain myself from criticizing Gnome-shell, specially considering it won't be possible to run compiz with it and disabling it will probably means "no more panels, menus and other gnome stuff". Some people hate compiz or think it's just eye-candy, but it really makes my workflow easier.

I guess when it becomes default, it will be one of the first things I will disable after a fresh install, along with Remote Desktop or perhaps switch to KDE. I'm already trying some KDE applications. So far I love Kate, Ktorrent will probably take over Deluge as my favorite BitTorrent client and Dolphin has some nice features. I still like the simplicity of Nautilus tho.

KDE has some wicked apps, although I think it's only now that 4.x is more solid we will see the rest start to pick up again! People will start having faith in the desktop once more! lol

As for Gnome Shell... I think it's a bit clumsy as well but you have to admit it does some things very well. I love the way I can drag applications onto a desktop from the Activities menu, and the way windows resize in different desktops when you pan back. I also like the stylish way you can add or remove desktops! I mean, I'm using an old version as well so I'm sure the new one does more stuff.

I agree it's a silly design, but I think it does have some things to offer nonetheless :)

praveesh
October 10th, 2009, 06:16 AM
I might try to use it from 3.3.2 onwards

lovinglinux
October 10th, 2009, 06:18 AM
I also like the stylish way you can add or remove desktops!

I admit I like that too. I guess most people prefer to setup the number of the desktops and leave it, but it makes sense to me to be able to easily add/remove desktops as needed.

I mean, I'm using an old version as well so I'm sure the new one does more stuff.

I don't think so.

I agree it's a silly design, but I think it does have some things to offer nonetheless :)

Yep, but I think the major problem is that it will be kind of forced. If the user has the option to disable it without loosing the current functionality, then great. More options for different tastes. But without compiz, is a no go for me.

But I feel that it will one of those applications that you just run when you are bored :)

Exodist
October 10th, 2009, 06:30 AM
I think it does! I think it's silly, but I think it looks good! :)

I thought you hated it just a few days ago?

hoppipolla
October 10th, 2009, 06:53 AM
I thought you hated it just a few days ago?

That does sound like something I would say... lol xD

To be honest, it's not that i HATE it. It's that.... I hope Gnome 3 is going to bring a lot more to the table than just gimmicks, you know? It's too early to tell, but I hope they do significantly more than a bit of polish or a few visual effects.

Also, as much as I appreciate the novelty factor, I do think panning everything back just to get to the Applications menu is a bit over the top.

RichardLinx
October 10th, 2009, 06:57 AM
GNOME should just be completely re-written in Qt... Yeah.

hoppipolla
October 10th, 2009, 06:58 AM

joke is I actually AGREE... lol

Either that or they need to work on GTK.

Exodist
October 10th, 2009, 07:41 AM

Barff-- No No.. bad boy..sit sit.. good dog..

madjr
October 10th, 2009, 10:05 AM
That does sound like something I would say... lol xD

To be honest, it's not that i HATE it. It's that.... I hope Gnome 3 is going to bring a lot more to the table than just gimmicks, you know? It's too early to tell, but I hope they do significantly more than a bit of polish or a few visual effects.

Also, as much as I appreciate the novelty factor, I do think panning everything back just to get to the Applications menu is a bit over the top.

yea gnome-shell wants to remind you every 5 secs that you have 4 desktops #-o

well gimp will be 1 window now so what would u use multi-desktops for?

probably a good use for it would be smartbooks and netbooks where desktop space is very limited on those small screens. Probably a good option there if i had a netbook i would try gnome-shell

anyway am sure some will like it

Screwdriver0815
October 10th, 2009, 10:25 AM
just a stupid question:

is gnome shell this new "Zeitgeist"-thing? Or what is it? I try to understand the new Gnome stuff but although I try really hard I don't understand it :(

And, where did you get the gnome shell resp. where can one get these new gnome things (I guess its all preview-alpha-beta stuff)?

23meg
October 10th, 2009, 01:02 PM
is gnome shell this new "Zeitgeist"-thing?

No. The "Zeitgeist thing" is something else (http://seilo.geekyogre.com/2009/09/some-pics-from-the-new-gnome-activity-journal/).

]Or what is it? I try to understand the new Gnome stuff but although I try really hard I don't understand it :(

It's the replacement for all tasks handled by Metacity and GNOME Panel in GNOME 2.x.

And, where did you get the gnome shell resp. where can one get these new gnome things (I guess its all preview-alpha-beta stuff)?

GNOME Shell:

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell

GNOME Activity Journal / Zeitgeist:

https://launchpad.net/gnome-zeitgeist
http://live.gnome.org/Zeitgeist

hoppipolla
October 10th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Barff-- No No.. bad boy..sit sit.. good dog..

What's wrong with Qt?

Keyper7
October 10th, 2009, 10:33 PM
What's wrong with Qt?

Nothing, but choice is good.

And lets not forget that one of the points of Gnome 3 is cleaning up GTK by getting rid of deprecated code and unsupported libraries.