PDA

View Full Version : Bad video games you like

LinuxFox
October 10th, 2009, 03:11 AM
I hope I don't get insulted over this topic, I know I would on a gaming forum. Anyway, ever play a game that got bad reviews or is widely disliked, but you thought differently about. What are some of those games?

For me it's Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis, the remake for GBA. I know it got bad reviews, but yet I find myself playing it and enjoying it. Only thing I didn't like was the slow downs, but I still enjoy it.

Just playing a video game today made me think of this topic.

Dark Aspect
October 10th, 2009, 03:13 AM
I hope I don't get insulted over this topic, I know I would on a gaming forum. Anyway, ever play a game that got bad reviews or is widely disliked, but you thought differently about. What are some of those games?

For me it's Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis, the remake for GBA. I know it got bad reviews, but yet I find myself playing it and enjoying it. Only thing I didn't like was the slow downs, but I still enjoy it.

Just playing a video game today made me think of this topic.

Check out this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1286513)

hoppipolla
October 10th, 2009, 03:17 AM
I have a ton of them... lol

Sonic Next on 360, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Riders, Bullet Witch, Phantasy Star Universe, Perfect World, Furcadia, NiGHTS JoD, Tabula Rasa, Enter the Matrix... the list goes on!

I think sometimes something about a game or series just appeals to you, or you perceive the good elements to be so good that they vastly outweigh the bad. The latter is usually true for me :)

LinuxFox
October 10th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Check out this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1286513) My mistake, I thought the gaming forum was for Linux games only.

hoppipolla: I also liked Sonic Riders and Unleashed, but I didn't think Unleashed got bad reviews. Cool to see another person who liked Enter the Matrix. I remember enjoying that one quite a bit. :) I can't help but agree about what you said about series that appeal to you.

RichardLinx
October 10th, 2009, 03:21 AM
A lot of people didn't like Turok:Evolution from the last generation of video games - It remains one of my favourite video games to date. Probably because it had so many glitches (some of which made the game impossible to finish, you gotta love it). There were cool glitches though, like going behind levels (in multiplayer too), etc.

I think the sheer 'crappiness' of the game is why I liked it so much. Not to mention that Acclaim (company that made the game) went out of business that same year, kind of made it feel like the last real Turok game. To me at least.

semitone36
October 10th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Anyone ever heard of Superman 64?

Lol that game f***ing SUCKED! But i still liked to play around the virtual practice world with the only interactable object that was a limo you could pick up and throw.

Oh to be young again...

hoppipolla
My mistake, I thought the gaming forum was for Linux games only.

hoppipolla: I also liked Sonic Riders and Unleashed, but I didn't think Unleashed got bad reviews. Cool to see another person who liked Enter the Matrix. I remember enjoying that one quite a bit. :) I can't help but agree about what you said about series that appeal to you.

Exactly! I like the Sonic series because it has a kinda "free", energetic and ambitious feel to it. Plus the characters are likable!

Perfect World is just beautiful, and encapsulates more of what I wanted WoW to be.

Tabula Rasa was a missed opportunity but looks SO awesome (and was in THEORY!).

Phantasy Star Universe is so social with such exciting combat and great features. It's good points I think are vastly underrated and understated, and in many ways I think the series has been very ahead of it's time :)

hoppipolla
A lot of people didn't like Turok:Evolution from the last generation of video games - It remains one of my favourite video games to date. Probably because it had so many glitches (some of which made the game impossible to finish, you gotta love it). There were cool glitches though, like going behind levels (in multiplayer too), etc.

I think the sheer 'crappiness' of the game is why I liked it so much. Not to mention that Acclaim (company that made the game) went out of business that same year, kind of made it feel like the last real Turok game. To me at least.

That sounds cool! hehe :)

mamamia88
October 10th, 2009, 03:29 AM
the term "bad" is subjective. if i like something it's not bad to me. so any game i like is good

LinuxFox
October 10th, 2009, 03:34 AM
Exactly! I like the Sonic series because it has a kinda "free", energetic and ambitious feel to it. Plus the characters are likable!That was actually one of the reasons why I like the Sonic series. I also remember liking the characters was why I got into it when I was younger.

LinuxFox
October 10th, 2009, 03:35 AM
the term "bad" is subjective. if i like something it's not bad to me. so any game i like is goodI meant bad as in bad reviews, to be honest like you I think anything I like is not bad.

mamamia88
October 10th, 2009, 03:38 AM
I meant bad as in bad reviews, to be honest like you I think anything I like is not bad.

in that case can't really think of anything. i tend to avoid games that don't get good reviews i work hard for my money and don't want to waste it.

LinuxFox
October 10th, 2009, 03:39 PM
in that case can't really think of anything. i tend to avoid games that don't get good reviews i work hard for my money and don't want to waste it.Ok, that's fine, even I play games that get good reviews. I just tend to stick with series I like, and I rent, watch video clips, and try demos to see if I would like it or not.

Come to think of it, I just remembered Home Alone 1 for Super NES. I remember liking it quite a bit when I was younger. Not to mention it was one of the first two games I played (other being Super Mario Kart).

Kingsley
October 10th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Nexuiz.

LinuxFox
October 10th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Nexuiz.I didn't think Nexuiz was considered as a bad game. Then again, I don't think I've seen a review on the game. I know I enjoy playing Nexuiz.

blueturtl
October 10th, 2009, 06:10 PM
King's Quest - Mask of Eternity
Shunned by fans of classic adventure games but not really a bad video game. It has arcade elements (you can run around freely in 3D environments), adventure and puzzle solving (point and click, collecting objects), basic combat and role play elements (separate battle mode, weapons, health and experience points). All tied together with an epic but rather predictable and cliché plot.

Unreal
After Half-Life Unreal seems like merely a showcase for 3D-engine technology, but that showcase is a really pretty one. This is probably the last of the old school shooters where all you'd really be expected to do was run around and shoot things. However despite it's lack of movielike reality that seems to be the cool thing these days I found it very atmospheric and engaging.

Both of these games have had some successful reviews, but are widely regarded as mediocre at best.

LinuxFox
October 10th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Unreal
After Half-Life Unreal seems like merely a showcase for 3D-engine technology, but that showcase is a really pretty one. This is probably the last of the old school shooters where all you'd really be expected to do was run around and shoot things. However despite it's lack of movielike reality that seems to be the cool thing these days I found it very atmospheric and engaging.

Both of these games have had some successful reviews, but are widely regarded as mediocre at best.That reminds me I gotta start playing that, I own the Unreal Anthology. Speaking of Unreal, UT2003 I guess would fall under that. I remember it got good reviews, yet I don't think it was as popular. At least I guess it's not as popular since it wasn't in the collection.

blueturtl
October 10th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Yeah. Well the original Unreal Tournament was a big success and widely enjoyed by critics and players alike. The single-player Unreal however was regarded as boring after Half-Life.

Doesn't mean it's bad though.

To be honest I've actually been kind of missing honest games lately. Most new titles try to be interactive movies.

CJ Master
October 10th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Big Rigs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigrigs) :twisted:

What? I like always winning. :D

Dharmachakra
October 10th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I used to play a game called "Way of the Samurai (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Way_of_the_Samurai)". I've never met anyone else who's ever even heard of the game! I didn't play the sequel, but it doesn't look like it met much success either. Another sequel is coming out in just a few days.

mmix
October 11th, 2009, 05:46 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmageddon

jessytimothy
January 6th, 2011, 05:22 AM
My Bad video games list
`Furcadia
`Sonic Next on 360
`Perfect World
`Bullet Witch
`Sonic Unleashed
`Phantasy Star Universe
`Sonic Riders

MisterGaribaldi
January 6th, 2011, 08:15 AM
I liked Full Throttle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PktBJ6HpNJQ).