PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Running the Android Emulator

Joseph Schwenker
October 10th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Hey everyone! I am encountering some problems in running the android emulator. I have downloaded it, but nothing happens when I double click on "emulator". I tried running emulator from the terminal, but it prompted me for the "-avg" line and an image file. Can anyone help me run the emulator? My terminal outputs

java version "1.6.0_16"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_16-b01)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 14.2-b01, mixed mode, sharing)

when I type "java -version". Thanks!

Joseph Schwenker
October 12th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Bump

tosk
October 12th, 2009, 06:49 AM
You need to specify an Android image to boot. If you don't have one and you're just looking to play with the emulator, you might try looking up CyanogenMod's custom ROM. If you're wanting to do some development, I recommend using a stock ROM for whatever device you're developing for.

tosk
October 12th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Try this link: http://unixlab.blogspot.com/2009/09/how-to-install-android-sdk-16-on-ubuntu.html

It should get you started on setting up the SDK and getting the emulator to work.

scottac
October 12th, 2009, 04:40 PM
are you using an IDE like eclipse?

Joseph Schwenker
October 12th, 2009, 09:32 PM
You need to specify an Android image to boot. If you don't have one and you're just looking to play with the emulator, you might try looking up CyanogenMod's custom ROM. If you're wanting to do some development, I recommend using a stock ROM for whatever device you're developing for.

I just want to play around with the emulator. How can I get "CyanogenMod's Custom ROM", and how can I use it? Thanks!

Joseph Schwenker
October 18th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Bump

Joseph Schwenker
October 27th, 2009, 03:20 AM
bump

Joseph Schwenker
October 27th, 2009, 03:21 AM
Try this link: http://unixlab.blogspot.com/2009/09/how-to-install-android-sdk-16-on-ubuntu.html

It should get you started on setting up the SDK and getting the emulator to work.

Could you explain the instructions you linked to in Layman's terms for a Linux noob?