PDA

View Full Version : removing firefox

fuscia
February 12th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Uninstall Firefox from Ubuntu once and see what all breaks ;)

this post, in another thread, got me thinking about it. i pretty much never use firefox anymore. i have to admit opera is faster and i'm not a patient person. anyway, i'm contemplating dumping it and all traces of it. is that a bad idea? (i don't use any other mozilla based browsers and i'd like to get rid of thunderbird too. this all depends on getting my wife to use opera and sylpheed-claws, of course.)

eriefisher
February 12th, 2006, 10:43 AM
I've tried Opera in both Linux and Windows and found it to be slow. With Kubuntu I tend to use Konqeror. As far as thunderbird, I love it, it's clean and simple and easy to set up. I use it to retrieve my Gmail, works great.

eriefisher

fuscia
February 12th, 2006, 10:53 AM
there is a wide range of experiences with firefox. kde is very slow on my humble equipment. konqueror was very slow on it, as well (cool browser, though. very different). if i could get dillo patched so that i could get to all the sites i need to (can't figure out how to get to yahoo groups), then i'd probably just use it all the time.

eriefisher
February 12th, 2006, 11:01 AM
I'm using an old Celeron 466 and it does run pretty slow but no more than FF.
I like Konqeror because you can use the tabs and go from web surfing to file browsing with one click. I just find it convenient.I've never tried dillo, what problems are you having with it?

eriefisher

fuscia
February 12th, 2006, 12:09 PM
I've never tried dillo, what problems are you having with it?

no problems. it's intended to be very light and very fast, so it's a bit on the austere side - http://www.dillo.org/