PDA

View Full Version : Does Gnome 3 = Gnome Shell?

Sashin
October 10th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Is gnome shell simple one aspect of gnome 3 or is it gnome 3 in its entirety. If I run gnome-shell --replace in terminal is it correct to say I'm using gnome 3?

Or is gnome 3 more than just a UI change?

23meg
October 10th, 2009, 12:24 AM
GNOME Shell is what will replace the GNOME Panel and Metacity in GNOME 3.

This is GNOME Shell:

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell

This is GNOME 3:

http://live.gnome.org/ThreePointZero/Plan

If I run gnome-shell --replace in terminal is it correct to say I'm using gnome 3?

No.

samjh
October 10th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Gnome-Shell is not the entirety, but it is the centre-piece of Gnome 3's user interface. Gnome 3 is also about consolidating dependencies and improvements to the internal workings of the software.

Basically, if you run Gnome-Shell in the current Gnome release, you're seeing what Gnome 3 will look like on the surface.

23meg
October 10th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Basically, if you run Gnome-Shell in the current Gnome release, you're seeing what Gnome 3 will look like on the surface.

Not necessarily. From the GNOME Shell 2.28 Release Notes:

This is still a VERY EARLY version of GNOME Shell and should not be
taken of indicative of the final user interface or performance.

lovinglinux
October 10th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Not necessarily. From the GNOME Shell 2.28 Release Notes:

This is still a VERY EARLY version of GNOME Shell and should not be
taken of indicative of the final user interface or performance.

Let's hope so, because the current gnome-shell sucks really bad. It's not bad in regard to performance, but usability.

mpsii
October 10th, 2009, 02:20 AM
GNOME Shell is what will replace the GNOME Panel and Metacity in GNOME 3.

Isn't Mutter (based on the Clutter API) going to replace what Metacity does (as a window manager) in Gnome 3?

lovinglinux
October 10th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Isn't Mutter (based on the Clutter API) going to replace what Metacity does (as a window manager) in Gnome 3?

I guess so, because it's installed when you install gnome-shell.

23meg
October 10th, 2009, 02:52 AM

GNOME Shell is currently a Mutter plugin. But in the future, it will probably be forked off Mutter and be standalone.