PDA

View Full Version : If Linux had never come into existance....

Iksf
October 10th, 2009, 12:13 AM
If Linux had never come into existance what kind of system would you be running now

Dark Aspect
October 10th, 2009, 12:16 AM
If Linux had never come into existance what kind of system would you be running now

Nothing, since with no competition Microsoft would just mark windows up to and ungodly price. Thus, only education and military would have computers. Kinda of like the days of unix when a operating system cost $2000 to $3000 dollars.

MadCow108
October 10th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Nothing, since with no competition Microsoft would just mark windows up to and ungodly price. Thus, only education and military would have computers. Kinda of like the days of unix when a operating system cost $2000 to $3000 dollars.

you seem to have no idea how economics work. Sometimes you make more money by sellign cheap (like Microsoft did in the ninties, compared to the commercial unix systems)

on topic,we'd probably using FreeBSD :)

shadylookin
October 10th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Well if linux hadn't come around perhaps GNU would have put a little more effort into hurd and some of us would be using that. Of course they're always one of the BSDs or OpenSolaris. Then there's always Haiku

sgosnell
October 10th, 2009, 12:24 AM
More likely Windows. :(

Dark Aspect
October 10th, 2009, 12:24 AM
you seem to have no idea how economics work.

I am 19, flunking college, autistic and have a long, long list of mental illness. I wouldn't be surprised if thats not the only thing I don't understand.

But of course thats not going to stop me from posting the current BS thats on my mind.

donkyhotay
October 10th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I'd probably use BSD...

dragos240
October 10th, 2009, 12:37 AM
I would probably still use windows.

cameronedwards
October 10th, 2009, 12:40 AM
well considering i was hooked on computers about 3-2 years ago i think i'd be running my own system by now (or at least in the midst of building it). the fact that there are so many operating systems out there made me switch from computer science to programming (when i get a job i may try to get every different system in my house -oh flat by the looks of the economy).

hoppipolla
October 10th, 2009, 12:41 AM
There would still be a lot of alternatives, and don't forget that if Linux hadn't taken the spotlight I'm sure another open source kernel or open source framework would have. We would probably be on something similar to FreeBSD :)

(Not that I'm putting down the accomplishments of Linus Torvalds though - that man is wicked ^_^ )

diesch
October 10th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Some kind of BSD I guess.

Xbehave
October 10th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Are we talking about the linux kernel? Because although great it is redundant, as another GPL licensed kernel would have popped up/we could run GPL top on a BSD base.
Or the entire OS (linux/GNU/Xorg/Kde/firefox) that you came about from debian/red hat? Because in that case i would probably still be gaming on windows.

keiichidono
October 10th, 2009, 01:05 AM
If the kernel never came around then I would be using whatever kernel was made in its place. If the entire OS stack (including distros) never came around then I'd be using FreeBSD, or OpenSolaris, or Haiku. If nothing came around that was good I'd stick with Windows and I'd be running Windows 7 right now.

subdivision
October 10th, 2009, 01:13 AM

Windows.

Praxicoide
October 10th, 2009, 04:03 PM
GNU/Hurd, which I guess would have been completed instead.

steev182
October 10th, 2009, 04:16 PM
You know, I was going to put in an answer like 'GNU would've pulled their finger out and finished HURD', but I have a feeling they still wouldn't have.

I'd probably still be on Windows, because without Linux, I wouldn't have tried OSX.

#11u-max
October 10th, 2009, 04:19 PM
i'd be running OpenSolaris!

steev182
October 10th, 2009, 04:20 PM
But without Linux, would Solaris be Open, or even running on x86 architecture?

coldReactive
October 10th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Wine would still exist though, just not for Linux.

This means ReactOS would still exist as an upcoming alternative. I'd use Windows until ReactOS became good enough for me to use.

#11u-max
October 10th, 2009, 04:45 PM
But without Linux, would Solaris be Open, or even running on x86 architecture?
well... it's UNIX based, not using LINUX...

tc3000
October 10th, 2009, 04:52 PM
some BSD.

Eisenwinter
October 10th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I don't think we can imagine what operating system we would be using if Linux didn't exist.

Linux had at least some influence on computing, of course.

I think those of us who use Linux today, would more than likely just keep looking for FOSS operating systems, if there wasn't Linux.

Xbehave
October 10th, 2009, 07:16 PM
GNU/Hurd, which I guess would have been completed instead.
I think even in the evil mirror universe in star trek, gnu/hurd was never completed, too many management and design problems, ultimately "worse is better (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worse_is_better)" won and we got linux because linus released it before it was finished :D

well... it's UNIX based, not using LINUX...
yeah but it would just be solaris (closed) and it would require (expensive) sun machines to run. I think the argument goes, linux moved UNIX off mainframes and onto x86 desktops/servers this lead to opensolaris being open and running on x86.

Penguin Guy
October 10th, 2009, 07:22 PM
No competition? Are you forgetting something? I would use a Mac. It is actually, as some of you may be surprised to hear, open-source. The full source is available here (http://www.opensource.apple.com/).

kimda
October 10th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Desktop probably FreeBSD or another BSD made for desktops. Or Apple.
Servers - OpenBSD or FreeBSD.

lisati
October 10th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I am 19, flunking college, autistic and have a long, long list of mental illness. I wouldn't be surprised if thats not the only thing I don't understand.

But of course thats not going to stop me from posting the current BS thats on my mind.

Don't sweat it. You're still able to make a contribution even if some of the college stuff doesn't pan out.

If Linux hadn't come around I might be using a different kernel, or maybe I'd be using Windows only.

Tharkun
October 10th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Either the Hurd or Windows.

Xbehave
October 10th, 2009, 07:40 PM
No competition? Are you forgetting something? I would use a Mac. It is actually, as some of you may be surprised to hear, open-source. The full source is available here (http://www.opensource.apple.com/).Erm that's not the full source, they have a lot of the lower user-space and kernel there but most of the GUI programs are closed and proprietary. Their hardware is also expensive so i would be very unlikely to be using mac os X.

Grimhound
October 10th, 2009, 07:43 PM
If Linux had never come into existence, it would've changed the history of development as we know it. Most of what currently exists may not exist, or may exist in greatly inferior form to what it now does.

Bachstelze
October 10th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I don't think we can imagine what operating system we would be using if Linux didn't exist.

This. Rewriting history is pointless. You could ask "If you couldn't use linux, what else would you use"?", but it's not the same.

Swagman
October 10th, 2009, 09:11 PM
AmigaOs 4.1

amingv
October 10th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Probably would have started some sort of KDE that would run on DOS?

(I think I just threw up in my mouth a little)

Maybe an abacus would be a better choice, at least it's transparent what the "bits" are doing in the "stack"?

spoons
October 10th, 2009, 09:27 PM
There'd have probably been some other upstart kernel, and everything would be running on that instead. FOSS would be a few years behind what it is now though.

misfitpierce
October 10th, 2009, 10:21 PM
It's hard to say... Prob still have my macbook intel or be using os x. I hate apple as much as MS but OS X is closer to linux than windows so prob be with os x/apple still. But thank god linux did come into play.

Dr. C
October 10th, 2009, 10:29 PM
GNU/Hurd

The only reason that the Hurd was not completed is because there was no incentive to complete it once Linux was released as free software under GPL v2.

SomeGuyDude
October 10th, 2009, 10:31 PM
I'd be running Windows and likely not be bothered by it. Windows treated me just fine, I simply prefer Linux.

jpmelos
October 10th, 2009, 10:40 PM
If there was no GNU/Linux, I'd have to use another free OS, like a BSD.

If there was no free OS, and I had to pay to use one, I'd use MacOS.

If there was only Windows, I'd be glad to use an abacus.

TheLastDodo
October 10th, 2009, 11:47 PM
AmigaOS 8.5...
:P

murderslastcrow
October 10th, 2009, 11:49 PM
I assume that you also mean other POSIX-compliant free systems, as well as the GNU tools.

I think, personally, due to a lack of other options, the world would be all into Mac OS X and demand more powerful tools from it so that people could do better server administration (servers with Windows would be insane, but Mac OS X servers would be the only other option).

I think that, regardless, someone would come up with a free alternative, as is the evolutionary standpoint of mankind. Free market on ideas up until fairly recently in the world's history.

However, I count myself lucky to not only have a free alternative, but one that is easy to install, use, and is exponentially better than the alternatives.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, as more people + freedom = evolution, but it's still remarkable to me that I'm so much better of for something I didn't pay a cent for.

Now I can use that money to buy some Linux software. XD

Iksf
October 11th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Personally id probably still be using Windows currently, though i think i would have moved onto FreeBSD later. OpenSolaris i doubt because i doubt without Linux's success it would have ever gone open, HURD because i doubt they would have ever completed it.

But on second thoughts would FreeBSD be anywhere as good without Linux encouraging people to develop free software....

JillSwift
October 11th, 2009, 12:03 PM
GNU/TAOS

The Totally Awesome Operating System. An OS that came into being after that time-traveler ran over Linus as he was walking back to his dorm. Yeah. :)

HappinessNow
October 11th, 2009, 12:19 PM

Haiku

ibuclaw
October 11th, 2009, 12:20 PM

Haiku

ibuclaw
October 11th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Haiku

Ha ha ha, Great minds think alike, I see

HappinessNow
October 11th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Ha ha ha, Great minds think alike, I seeYep! that was a bit trippy we must have posted within the same second or two. :P

Exodist
October 11th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Id prob be using Windows, sadly..

Arup
October 11th, 2009, 12:40 PM
PC-BSD and XPx64.

infestor
October 11th, 2009, 12:51 PM
maybe GNU guys would have been forced to finish HURD