PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] partition not recognized?

rubisco
October 9th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Well, to be brief, I can't boot into Ubuntu now, though I could before. Now here's my situation:
1. I install Ubuntu 9.04 directly from CD after Vista got installed. Then I use easyBCD to make Vista manage the booting choices, and it worked successfully.
2. Then I installed ext2fsd, after several trials I can see and read my Ubuntu disk now. I didn't try to write anything with ext2fsd, but I CHANGED THE LABEL FOR UBUNTU PARTITION IN VISTA. Then when I try to reboot again, whatever I choose in GRUB, it would show "uuid=xxxxxxxx" and says file not exist (or location not exist? I can't remember), then jump back.
3. I wonder whether changing label would affect, so I changed it back to blank in Vista (I still can read everything there), but still no luck. Then I try to find whether uuid has been changed, thus under grub I type uuid, but only Windows partitions are listed. I boot from the live cd, and find (1) my windows partitions are recognized but Ubuntu one is not, both in file browser and in "ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid"; (2) the partition editor can't recognize any partitions on my HD, also when I attempt to reinstall Ubuntu it would tell me that no other system has been installed but apparently I have Vista there.

So now I can't boot into Ubuntu nor can I do a reinstall, well, unless I delete the Ubuntu partition in Vista I guess. I've done a lot of searching, but can't solve it still. Any suggestions would help. Thank you everyone!

tpjk
October 9th, 2009, 11:11 PM
did you use the wubi installer to install ubuntu inside vista or did you install ubuntu to a different partition?

rubisco
October 9th, 2009, 11:26 PM
did you use the wubi installer to install ubuntu inside vista or did you install ubuntu to a different partition?

I didn't use WUBI. I just specify the amount of HD to use when installing Ubuntu, so I think it must be a different partition (same disk, though).

tpjk
October 9th, 2009, 11:51 PM
... the partition editor can't recognize any partitions on my HD, also when I attempt to reinstall Ubuntu it would tell me that no other system has been installed but apparently I have Vista there.

please post a screenshot of your partition editor.

rubisco
October 10th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Ah, sure. I'm not at home right now. I'll post them within 2 hours. Thanks in advance:)

rubisco
October 10th, 2009, 06:00 AM
I can't mount any of my disk (nor my USB drive) under live CD mode so I can't get the image out (my laptop's wireless can't work under live CD mode either). However it only says all my partition is unallocated and my disklabeltype is unrecognized...

rubisco
October 10th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Ah, Thank you everyone. It's much simpler than I thought. When I use ext2fsd, it sets the partition type of my Ubuntu partition to 85(Linux extend) instead of 83(Linux). I set it back and now everything is fine:)

tpjk
October 10th, 2009, 09:58 AM
well, congrats on working that out. :)

you should mark this thread as SOLVED now.