PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade from one LTS to another

OBI_Ron
October 9th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Hello Everyone,

I currently have 8.04 LTS, and am considering upgrading to 9.04.

General question - should I expect an upgrade between 2 LTS versions to be direct? For example, if I want to upgrade from 8.04 LTS to 9.04, I will have to upgrade to 8.10 first.

When the next LTS version comes out - due April 2010, will I be able to upgrade directly from 8.04? Or is it still quite possible that I will have some interim upgrades to do?

Thanks in advance!

snowpine
October 9th, 2009, 05:30 PM
When 10.04 comes out in April, you will be able to upgrade directly from 8.04 to 10.04. (Hypothetically, of course... since 10.04 doesn't exist yet. :))

9.04 is not an LTS release, so you'd have to upgrade to 8.10 first. (And then to 9.10 to get to 10.04.)

(edit) You will find there are many users on the forum who recommend a fresh reinstall irregardless. I do not necessarily fall into this camp, however, there are good arguments for a fresh reinstall--for example, it is the only way to take advantage of the new ext4 filesystem.

OBI_Ron
October 9th, 2009, 05:40 PM
snowpine,

Thanks for the info! I'd like to be able to upgrade directly if possible - I have to many hours getting Wine configured with all of my (I can't run on Linux) garbage. Unfortunately, I paid good money for it.

I guess I will wait until April.

Thanks again!