PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Getting Ready for 9.10

MSwal2846
October 9th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I'm beginning to get ready for going to the new Ubuntu release (9.10) and have begun looking into how I can migrate. When I went from 8.10 to 9.04, the upgrade option did NOT work well for me and I ended up having to do a clean install of 9.04. This was relatively painful from the perspective that I lost alot of my system settings and, most painful, lost my Network Manager connections.

I do a fair amount of customer consulting and have, over time, developed a pretty lengthy list of wireless connections where the passwords get set my that companies' tech person. It is usually painful to get them to deal with the fact that I'm a Linux desktop, get them to even look at typing in the security key information, etc.

So, my question (finally!) is how can I save this information on 9.04 so that I can restore it if I need to do a reinstall of 9.10? What files do I need to save to allow this to happen?

And are they're other files that you all can recommend that I could/should save with this upgrade/reinstall?

Thanks!
Mark

MSwal2846
October 30th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Wow, I'm surprised not to get even 1 post back! Is it not possible to save this file?

Mark

dhavalbbhatt
October 30th, 2009, 04:54 PM
So, my question (finally!) is how can I save this information on 9.04 so that I can restore it if I need to do a reinstall of 9.10? What files do I need to save to allow this to happen?
Why can't you create a spreadsheet and maintain all your information here? That should be a fairly easy thing to do. When you do upgrade, make sure you have the spreadsheet backed up - just in case.

And are they're other files that you all can recommend that I could/should save with this upgrade/reinstall?

Thanks!
Mark

As a general rule, whenever you backup/install a new OS, you should always backup your home folder, completely. If you want your settings, make sure you back up your hidden files too. There are other posts out there that will tell you how to do that and what to do after your upgrade is complete.

Hope the above helps!