PDA

View Full Version : fun and easy guitar chords

KhaaL
October 9th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I'm looking for easy and fun guitar chords since i'm a beginner at it. I've found the chords for new york piazza which is lovely (and matches my newbie level). What more good,easy chords are there? Comeon guitar players, show me what you got! :P

NovaAesa
October 9th, 2009, 01:46 PM
How about E minor, it's pretty easy :P

RiceMonster
October 9th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Learn the chords for Knockin' on Heaven's Door. It uses G D C and A minor. Those are really common chords and it'll help you get comfortable with them.

swoll1980
October 9th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Drop the E string to a D and bar the first three strings. you can then move this chord all the way up, and down the neck. This is called a Drop D, and can be used to play all kinds of metal. Have fun!

cmay
October 9th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Try google for open d tuning. it is very easy to learn the first things on open d. then again you can always improve your skills on open d so it becomes the main tuning you play.

while experimenting with open tunings you will find the most of the chords are extremely simple compared to the standard tuning but it sounds different all together.

In a open tuning you can play house of rising sun with just one finger. for guitar solo I still prefer the standard tuning but for slide blues country and other acoustic songs i only play open d. its been over four years since i tuned a guitar in standard tuning.

Bölvağur
October 9th, 2009, 03:29 PM
dont learn chords unless you are going to be playing along with singing of some drunks at parties.
for playing the guitar look at tabs.

RiceMonster
October 9th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Drop the E string to a D and bar the first three strings. you can then move this chord all the way up, and down the neck. This is called a Drop D, and can be used to play all kinds of metal. Have fun!

You just described why I hate drop D :p.

dont learn chords unless you are going to be playing along with singing of some drunks at parties.

You're kidding right? If you want to learn to play guitar properly, you should have a good understanding of chords. This goes for even metal guitarists.

Tibuda
October 9th, 2009, 03:37 PM
http://www.guitarchordsmagic.com/

cmay
October 9th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I forgot to mention that I started playing when I was fourteen years old. I learned blues first. and that I would recommend all new guitar players to learn first almost no matter which genre you want to learn.

I play in open d tuning now but I learned the standard tuning first. then I started to learn scales and then after that having experimented with jazz chords I started to just tune the guitar different from time to time and ended up using a standard open d tuning.

blues is simple. it is in essence the same chords over and and over and has a very logical structure. learning finger picking is also a good idea but before learning scales and finger picking you should learn to use chords and be comfortable at them no matter what tuning you use.

I found that it is a good help to learn write your own songs because you are learning things at your own level but it does not have to be something you devote a lot of time on.

cmay
October 9th, 2009, 04:08 PM
btw: it usually takes up to two years to learn playing for most people. the after that there is depending on how motivated your are there is a two year crisis where many people feel they cant continue learning and then quit. I think learning as young as possible is a good thing but not the main factor. what is important is that you keep learning no matter how hard it seems at times. also if the only thing you want is to be able to play a few simple tunes at the campfire then i guess books and net tutorials will be enough. but the more advanced things could be a good idea to take some lessons. I learned all I can by my self. I started as fourteen and the age of 34 I am still picking up beginners lessons and learn new things every day. it is a procces that never ends learning and i think it is regardless what you learn .

Chronon
October 9th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Cmaj7
e |-----0------|
B |-----0------|
G |-----0------|
D |-----2------|
A |-----3------|
E |-----x------|

pwnst*r
October 10th, 2009, 12:10 AM

normally i can detect sarcasm, but...

cmay
October 10th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I think open tunings are much more comfortable but granted it is a very wise decision to also very quickly learning the standard tunings as at least here in Denmark there is a certain massive usage of these in most beginners books and lessons and for most music

I guess that the standard or classical tuning as it is also is called is vital to know and be able to use but in blues and country I found out somewhere what a four five years ago most songs are written in open tunings.

irish folk music are in dadgad tuning and slide guitar is most popular open g and many folk singers uses drop d. but for some reason in Denmark open tunings as far as I know of are close to non existant in schools and its hard to find any tutorials on it written on Danish and no books uses them . I had to teach the music school teacher how to tune a open d and open g but he knew that they was used in banjo tunings.

what kind of music do you want to learn by the way ?

here is some examples of the chords in standard and open d so you can see the difference
in open d.

e minor
x--------
x--------
---2-----
---1-----
---1-----

a minor
0-------------
0------------
----2--------
----3-------
----3--------
----2--------

b minor
0---------
0---------
0---------
----2-----
0---------

in standard tuning

e minor
0-----------
-----2------
-----2-----
0-----------
0-----------
0-----------

a minor
0-------------
0-------------
------2------
------2------
------1------
0-----------

b minor as I would use it

-----2-----------
-----2----------
-----4----------
-----4----------
------2---------
-----2---------

read from the top string ----- and down the x is muted.
I coulded find any other way to show the chords so I improvised a bit . hope you can read it anyway.

Chronon
October 10th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Your diagrams are upside down compared to standard ASCII-Tab

cameronedwards
October 10th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I'm getting a guitar next week or sometime earlier! soo exited so im subscribing to this thread (hope you dont mind!)

cmay
October 10th, 2009, 01:14 AM
http://user156177.websitewizard.com/images/15chords_copy.pnghttp://http://user156177.websitewizard.com/images/15chords_copy.png
I am used to reading chord diagrams like this. but i had to improvise as I said :). anyone have chord diagrams for open tunings I am interested.

cmay
October 10th, 2009, 01:18 AM
http://www.alanhorvath.com/images/Dchart.jpg
I found these. google are great ;)
there are many other chords that this in open d as well but the difference is visible.

semitone36
October 10th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Im not really all that interested in learning chords myself as i tend to enjoy playing lead rather than rhythm but if you wander over to ultimate-guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com) you can find a tutorial/lesson for ANY aspect of music theory you can think of. Also, you can download the sheet music for just about any song ever written and then listen to it, learn it, or edit it using tuxguitar (http://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/).

Happy shredding :guitar: