PDA

View Full Version : Obama wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

x3roconf
October 9th, 2009, 12:04 PM
US President Barack Obama has been awarded the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize.

The Nobel Committee said he won it for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and co-operation between peoples".

The committee highlighted Mr Obama's efforts to support international bodies and promote nuclear disarmament.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8298580.stm

What do you think?

amitabhishek
October 9th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Kanye did u hear this piece of news???!!! :)

suitedaces
October 9th, 2009, 12:13 PM
http://www.gifflix.com/files/052bdfd69463.gif

gjoellee
October 9th, 2009, 12:14 PM
What do you think?

What have Obama done that makes him deserve this price?

Kanye did u hear this piece of news???!!! :)

I'm gonna let you finish, but....

kevin11951
October 9th, 2009, 12:23 PM
What have Obama done that makes him deserve this price?

I'm gonna let you finish, but....

Not that I am against Obama, but what did he do?

3rdalbum
October 9th, 2009, 12:23 PM
This news comes on the day when a bunch of American news commentators have proclaimed Australians to be "racist" and "backward" because an Australian TV show had a Jackson Five tribute band on as a guest act, and four of them had blackened their faces with make-up (the fifth had whitened his face to be Michael Jackson).

Has Obama had a chance to do anything significant for international diplomacy yet? If so, I haven't heard about it. I sure hope that he hasn't been given the Nobel Peace Prize simply because he's a black American president; because if so, then maybe Australians aren't the ones who are backward and racist?

jwbrase
October 9th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Well, given that he's been in office for all of nine months, I think it's a bit early. Twenty years down the line, if it turns out that his actions in office were peaceable, and that they brought a peace that lasted through and beyond his term in office, he would definitely merit it. But as of yet you can't really say one way or the other.

urosg3
October 9th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Not that I am against Obama, but what did he do?

Didn't start a war...

howlingmadhowie
October 9th, 2009, 12:31 PM
quoting mr. lehrer:

... political satire became obsolete when Henry Kissinger was awarded the Nobel Prize.

PuddingKnife
October 9th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Well, given that he's been in office for all of nine months, I think it's a bit early. Twenty years down the line, if it turns out that his actions in office were peaceable, and that they brought a peace that lasted through and beyond his term in office, he would definitely merit it. But as of yet you can't really say one way or the other.

Bombing Pakistan w/ drone missiles gets you a peace prize?

/thread

amitabhishek
October 9th, 2009, 12:35 PM

/thread

What were his options?

*This thread gonna get locked*

t0p
October 9th, 2009, 12:36 PM

If he's done enough in the first 9 months of this term to win the Nobel Peace Prize, just imagine what he'll have achieved by the end of his (second?) term! World peace will be a reality. Israelis and Palestinians will hug and kiss regularly! Osama bin Laden will take up charity work in The Great Sat^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^HUSA! Iran will donate its atom bombs to Greenpeace!

All hail Barack! A legend in his own...

PuddingKnife
October 9th, 2009, 12:40 PM
What were his options?

*This thread gonna get locked*

Ghandi or MLK wound't have made that choice.

SpriteSODA
October 9th, 2009, 12:43 PM
I think it's a bad joke and a shame to the Nobel Prize institute to give such honorable title to someone who have'nt done anything to earn it.

This will only make the American Chamberline even more afraid to do stuff that must be done, and we will all pay for it, sooner or later.

amitabhishek
October 9th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Ghandi or MLK wound't have made that choice.

The aid has been tripled ($7 bn). Ideally he shouldn't have cared.

Tristam Green
October 9th, 2009, 12:51 PM
lol @ someone declaring their own post as a /thread.

That isn't how the Internet works. I am disappoint.

I question the motives of this because they seem purely political, but hey; what isn't nowadays?

(Waiting for that lock!)

jwbrase
October 9th, 2009, 01:05 PM

/thread

What (should) get you a peace prize is the total legacy you leave, and whether you in general made the world a more peaceable place.

What gets you a peace prize is politics. Arafat, of all people, got a peace prize, and Obama's gotten one before his legacy is at all clear. Bombing Pakistan is but one part of that. The same goes for all the more peaceable things he's done so far, they're only a part, and their effect remains to be seen. Maybe we'll get "peace with honor, peace in our time," and maybe we'll get "peace with honor, peace in our time."

chucky chuckaluck
October 9th, 2009, 01:28 PM
must've been a slow year for peace.

Boom!!!
October 9th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Very strange.:confused:

mick222
October 9th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I quite like Obama but think it is strange that someone involved in two wars gets a peace prize.Even if he didn't start them.

Sand & Mercury
October 9th, 2009, 01:43 PM
I quite like Obama but think it is strange that someone involved in two wars gets a peace prize.Even if he didn't start them.
Well, he's making a concerted effort to end them, I think that's worthy of some recognition.

Luke has no name
October 9th, 2009, 01:53 PM

/thread

Mighty_Joe
October 9th, 2009, 01:58 PM
The least they could have done is give the award to some who has actually done something, you know, like Al Gore. Oh, wait. . .

amitabhishek
October 9th, 2009, 02:24 PM

lol'd...

fillintheblanks
LOL, a peace prize? didn't he send more troops to afghanistan?

jwbrase
Well, he's making a concerted effort to end them, I think that's worthy of some recognition.

The other question, though, is whether ending them will in the long term lead to peace.

Chamberlain with his peacemongering did more damage to peace than Churchill with his warmongering.

I'm a bit afraid that Obama will turn out the same way, but, as I myself have said, it's too early to say.

Jesus_Valdez
October 9th, 2009, 03:43 PM
YO OBAMA IM REALLY HAPPY FOR YOU IMMA LET YOU FINISH BUT RIGOBERTA MENCHU WAS ONE OF THE BEST NOBEL PEACE PRIZE OF ALL TIME, OF ALL TIME.

/cruisecontrol

jeyaganesh
October 9th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I think no one is eligible for this year's Nobel for Peace. Thats why judges chose President Obama half heartedly.

Is this thread not related to politics?
Admins, are you closing this thread soon?
:popcorn:

kevdog
October 9th, 2009, 04:01 PM
I guess peace is really a subjective term. He's inspired political tea parties within the US which aren't exactly peaceful at times. One one healthcare supporter actually bit of the finger of an 80 year old man counter-protester.

Hallvor
October 9th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Next year I`ll nominate Miss Universe...

LowSky
October 9th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I guess no one read the reasons behind the award.

Obama signed a deal with the Russian PM to lower nuclear weapon stockpiles to 1500 a piece, down from about 2000. His foreign policies are a 180 degree change from the Bush administration, he is asking countries to come together instead of the Bush doctrine of with us or against us (remember Freedom Fries). He is sending troops out of Iraq as quickly as Iraqi regiments can take over, and is trying to strengthen the troops to help in Afghanistan to stop the influx of Pakistani terrorists.

I do think this award was a bit too early in his career but maybe such an honor will help him do more with the rest of his time in charge.

forrestcupp
October 9th, 2009, 04:52 PM
The least they could have done is give the award to some who has actually done something, you know, like Al Gore. Oh, wait. . .

:lol: You beat me to it.

But Al Gore did invent the internet, didn't he? :)

PurposeOfReason
October 9th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I guess no one read the reasons behind the award.

Obama signed a deal with the Russian PM to lower nuclear weapon stockpiles to 1500 a piece, down from about 2000. His foreign policies are a 180 degree change from the Bush administration, he is asking countries to come together instead of the Bush doctrine of with us or against us (remember Freedom Fries). He is sending troops out of Iraq as quickly as Iraqi regiments can take over, and is trying to strengthen the troops to help in Afghanistan to stop the influx of Pakistani terrorists.

I do think this award was a bit too early in his career but maybe such an honor will help him do more with the rest of his time in charge.
So he lowered the amount of nukes to a lower number that can still blow up the earth a few times over and wants countries to get together. Troop change has been negligible.

May I remind everyone the nominations were due Febuary 1st, what had he done by then?

Ric_NYC
October 9th, 2009, 05:23 PM
He won the prize because he... because he...
Because he did... WAIT! He did NOT!

Because he startet.... WAIT! He didn't start...

Because... well...

"I'll get back to ya".... When I find the answer...

aysiu
October 9th, 2009, 05:26 PM
The Community Chat area is for lighthearted and enjoyable discussions, like you might find around a water cooler at work.

Almost any non-tech-support topic may be discussed here. Discussions on religion and politics are not allowed, except for politics directly related to free and open source issues. Any topic or discussion that causes problems or drama will be closed. This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments. Please take those elsewhere. Thanks! Closed