PDA

View Full Version : question to understand Browser Benchmarks

Screwdriver0815
October 9th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Hi @all,

in the past I read some threads regarding "slow Firefox in Linux" and doing some benchmarks and so on. In these topics the peacekeeper benchmark http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/index.action was mentioned - so I tried this with the two browsers I have on my system: Arora 0.9 and Konqueror 4.3

The benchmark does some operations and during this you see different pictures. In the section "complex graphics" is an animation like you can see it in different space-simulation games or whatever.

Results are:

- Arora 0.9: 1482 points
- Konqueror 4.3: 982 points

(see pics attached)

Now the question:

during the test I had the impression that the Konqueror was much faster than Arora in bringing up the pictures and the animation, mentioned above, was really crappy in Arora but Konqueror showed it really smooth and slick.
The last sections ("data", "DOM operations", "text parsing") were done so fast in Konqueror that I could not see any picture being displayed - just a shadow flitting over the screen. In Arora you could see the pictures and the changes during the steps.

Overall I had the impression that the Konqueror was much faster and smoother than Arora during this test. But strangely enough it has gained less points than Arora... :confused:

Thats why I would like to ask what does this test do? Which things or behaviours are rated and what is the ideal? Is it different to the things, human beings can see? If so: why? I thought a browser should show the internet to human beings and when they are satisfied, the browser gets "full points". Speaking for the two browsers in my system, it must be the Konqueror then...
On the peacekeeper site they state that "the higher the score, the faster the browser" - in my eyes, the Konqueror is faster...:confused: why does it have a lower score then? :confused:

would be great if some of you could shed some light into this because I would like to understand what all this means

lovinglinux
October 9th, 2009, 09:40 PM
For me, Peaceakeeper has been very reliable and the results seems to reflect the observed performance. I don't know exactly what it does, but whenever I optimize the system and the browser, then improvement is reflected into my Peacekeeper results.

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=124167&stc=1&d=1249840668