PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Windows 7 + Linux Ubuntu Dual-Boot

Statics
October 9th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Hello everybody, I am new to Linux and Ubuntu caught my attention.

I've recently purchased a new Toshiba L500D Laptop which came with Windows Vista Home Premium but I'm waiting for my Windows 7 Upgrade to arrive in the mail, which I will then use to upgrade Vista to Windows 7 on my Laptop.

After I install Windows 7, I would like to dualboot with Linux Ubuntu 9.04. I would like to create a separate partition for Ubuntu as well rather than installing it within Windows. (I'd rather have them separate)

Thing is, I have never partitioned before so I'm wondering if somebody here could give me some help regarding this issue. I would like to dedicate aproximately 40 - 50 GB to Linux Ubuntu as well.

Thanks a lot. :)

BenypX
October 9th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Hey I'm a new user and I've been using Windows 7 for about a month now and the way I did this my windows 7 was already partitioned into 3 parts and I cleaned out one of them completly and I burned an image DVD of Ubuntu and then when you put it in click dual boot and when you install it, it will prompt you to click which partition u'd like to install Ubuntu on and just click the one u already have reserved for it. Also IM NEW so I dont know anything about Linux so if anyone wants to share some cool info with me and terminal commands I would much appreciate it.Thank you

PS. The reason I have windows 7 is because my college gives it out for free to students, like free softare and they had the released version before it came out( NOT THE BETA).

darco
October 9th, 2009, 06:13 AM
This may help ....

http://apcmag.com/the_definitive_dualbooting_guide_linux_vista_and_x p_stepbystep.htm

darco