View Full Version : Hulu desktop now for linux

madjr
October 9th, 2009, 04:12 AM
finally, they're supporting linux not just windows and mac

well at least ubuntu and fedora are supported

http://www.hulu.com/labs/hulu-desktop-linux

jeremyswalker
October 9th, 2009, 04:35 AM
I just tried to install it and got a bad file descripter error.

FuturePilot
October 9th, 2009, 04:37 AM
I just tried to install it and got a bad file descripter error.

Make sure you have all updates installed on Karmic. That bug was fixed a while ago.

Warpnow
October 9th, 2009, 05:43 AM
It runs both of my e6750 cores at 100% constantly and is still jerky.

Obviously needs some optimization, but an amazing app, and I am eternally grateful for the port.

joey-elijah
October 9th, 2009, 05:48 AM
It runs both of my e6750 cores at 100% constantly and is still jerky.

Obviously needs some optimization, but an amazing app, and I am eternally grateful for the port.

Being a Uk-er i've no way to test it, but it's really good news nonetheless!

Tipped OuT
October 9th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Is this like a media center or something?

joey-elijah
October 9th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Is this like a media center or something?

it's like bbc iplayer... but for more than one channel

Warpnow
October 9th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Hulu lets people watch most programs being aired on TV now, as well as a large collection of older television programs, on demand, legally, at their computer.

Hulu Desktop is an application which lets you control it entirely via remote without the need for opening a web browser.

misfitpierce
October 9th, 2009, 06:25 AM
yay! been waiting for it.

misfitpierce
October 9th, 2009, 06:33 AM
I love Hulu... Great app and great service for when i'm not watching my DirecTV and want to watch a TV show or movie on my laptop.

doorknob60
October 9th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Sweet. Gonna try it out, and be the first one to post a PKGBUILD on AUR hopefully :D (none on AUR yet, I think I'm good)

inobe
October 9th, 2009, 06:45 AM
hulu gets a thumbs up from me, keep up the great work :guitar:

keiichidono
October 9th, 2009, 06:49 AM
I'm on 64bit using Compiz and it ran just fine in the default window size besides the UI being slow, full screen flash was really saggy, but that's probably just 64bit alpha flash plugin and Compiz.

oboedad55
October 9th, 2009, 06:54 AM
I've never heard of this. Thanks for bringing it up, I'm watching a movie as we speak.

doorknob60
October 9th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Wow, it actually works...well! The only "problem" is that it didn't detect my flash plugin (editing ~/.huludesktop to tell it /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so fixed it though). It earns my approval, which means it earns the privilege of an AUR PKGBUILD :D http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=31063

HappinessNow
October 9th, 2009, 07:15 AM

Thanks for the link! :P

Shibblet
October 9th, 2009, 07:19 AM

Could be gearing up for Google Chrome.

Giant Speck
October 9th, 2009, 07:24 AM
I didn't even know that Hulu had a desktop application for Windows. Otherwise, I would have been using it!

oboedad55
October 9th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Aw geez, ads! I can live without ads...

Giant Speck
October 9th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Aw geez, ads! I can live without ads...

Well, to be completely honest, I'd rather put up with advertisements than have to pay for it.

HappinessNow
October 9th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Aw geez, ads! I can live without ads...Press the "mute" button. :P

misfitpierce
October 9th, 2009, 07:39 AM
The ad's arent that bad on Hulu... Worth it for what you get to watch in good quality on Hulu for FREE.

inobe
October 9th, 2009, 07:40 AM
new episode of house folks ;-)

HappinessNow
October 9th, 2009, 07:47 AM
The ad's arent that bad on Hulu... Worth it for what you get to watch in good quality on Hulu for FREE.Not exactly free but included with the internet that you pay your cable provider. :P

Nothing in life is free.

misfitpierce
October 9th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Not exactly free but included with the internet that you pay your cable provider. :P

Nothing in life is free.

Well I use DSL and pay $10 a month for cell phone net via T-Mobile USA and can tether through that but in terms of being online and not being included in price of internet... it is free. Can connect to local wifi free and still watch and yes thats all completely free. Anyways FREE in common sense terms. :P

misfitpierce
October 9th, 2009, 07:56 AM
new episode of house folks ;-)

Thanks for heads up... Love watching House!

HappinessNow
October 9th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Well I use DSL and pay $10 a month for cell phone net via T-Mobile USA

$10 per month does not equal free.

Giant Speck
October 9th, 2009, 08:50 AM

CAUTION: The above quote may contain truth.

I mean... +1

misfitpierce
October 9th, 2009, 08:54 AM

Well considering the main use of it was not to use on my computer its a bonus and I got plenty of free WIFI spots but the service from Hulu is free... This is stupid arguing about adding price of things.. Maybe add the price I paid for my laptop... And my energy bill as well as starbucks buying a coffee while using wifi if on wifi etc etc... stop with the crap... Hulu is free and advertises... big deal and get over it... Done with this!

hanzomon4
October 9th, 2009, 09:02 AM
This thing runs great on my 64bit setup, just great!

jperez
October 9th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the new and the link! Trying it out. I'm getting small, occasional freezes, but that's okay. Thanks again!

Jesse~

tjeremiah
October 9th, 2009, 04:11 PM
how do you edit ~/.huludesktop . I cant find the location .

tjeremiah
October 9th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Bump :?

RiceMonster
October 9th, 2009, 04:28 PM

?

/home/YOU_USER_NAME/.huludesktop

Giant Speck
October 9th, 2009, 04:45 PM

Are you trying to find it in Nautilus? Do you have "Show hidden files" selected under the View menu?

tjeremiah
October 9th, 2009, 04:48 PM
?

/home/YOU_USER_NAME/.huludesktop

cant find it. Only reason im asking is because of Flash.

DougieFresh4U
October 9th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Been using hulu for about 6 months now via this link
http://www.hulu.com/
Never had to 'install' anything

tjeremiah
October 9th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Are you trying to find it in Nautilus? Do you have "Show hidden files" selected under the View menu?

tried, cant find. At launch it said something about cant located FLASH. Im trying to put the FLASH in the right location.

Thelasko
October 9th, 2009, 05:07 PM
It would be nice if it would disable the screen saver automatically. Other than that, it's not a big improvement over the browser version.

P.S. There is no ~/.huludesktop folder on my machine either.

P.P.S ~/.huludesktop is a file, not a folder! Yes, I found it now.

Starlight
October 9th, 2009, 05:16 PM
That sounds good, except that Hulu is evil :evil: I once searched the whole internet for something, and found it only on Hulu... Hulu refused to play it because it said I live in the wrong country.

RiceMonster
October 9th, 2009, 05:20 PM
That sounds good, except that Hulu is evil :evil: I once searched the whole internet for something, and found it only on Hulu... Hulu refused to play it because it said I live in the wrong country.

As far as I know it only works in the US. I live in Canada, so I'm out of luck too :(.

tjeremiah
October 9th, 2009, 05:22 PM

I hear VPN works.

Warpnow
October 9th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Been using hulu for about 6 months now via this link
http://www.hulu.com/
Never had to 'install' anything

Not the same. Hulu Desktop is for media centers. Can be controlled entirely via remote from your couch. :-p

Starlight
October 9th, 2009, 05:43 PM
As far as I know it only works in the US. I live in Canada, so I'm out of luck too :(.

Yes, that sucks :( Youtube also does that, but it's easy to go around it by using a proxy. Unfortunately, when I tried it for Hulu, it didn't work...

I hear VPN works.

Hmm... I'm not sure, but isn't VPN something you have to pay for? I've heard that TOR can be used to get around country-based censorship on the internet, but it's complicated to set it up...

Thelasko
October 9th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Hmm... I'm not sure, but isn't VPN something you have to pay for?

You need a trusted computer within the US. If you have a friend in the US willing to lend you his/hers, then no, you don't have to pay for it.

SomeGuyDude
October 9th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Spikes my CPU usage somethin' awful, but otherwise I'm liking it a lot.

DougieFresh4U
October 9th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Not the same. Hulu Desktop is for media centers. Can be controlled entirely via remote from your couch. :-p

That may be true, but I was able to login using same credentials that I was using for the link I posted. So they are some what connected.

mamamia88
October 9th, 2009, 06:30 PM
what is the point of this? video seems choppy and i could always just go to hulu.com. i just created a hulu prism which works much better

Thelasko
October 9th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Spikes my CPU usage somethin' awful, but otherwise I'm liking it a lot.

Yeah, it's SLOW

NormanFLinux
October 9th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Hulu is only BETA but I've no problems getting it to run on Jaunty! :)

note32
October 9th, 2009, 07:40 PM
awsome can't wait to try it out! its about time:popcorn:

tjeremiah
October 9th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Wow, it actually works...well! The only "problem" is that it didn't detect my flash plugin (editing ~/.huludesktop to tell it /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so fixed it though). It earns my approval, which means it earns the privilege of an AUR PKGBUILD :D http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=31063

how did you do that :confused: I have yet to get flash working and if i cant, im going to have to delete hulu :(

NormanFLinux
October 9th, 2009, 07:53 PM
The closed captioning works great too! =D> :)

Chronon
October 9th, 2009, 08:02 PM
It works beautifully for me too. Nice!

the8thstar
October 9th, 2009, 08:08 PM
How can I make this work if I'm outside of the US?

NormanFLinux
October 9th, 2009, 08:10 PM
No - you can't. The video content is currently available only to those who live in the US.

doorknob60
October 9th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Open the .huludesktop file in your home folder with any text editor (Gedit, Kwrite, nano, etc.). In order to see it under a file manager, you'll need to set it to show hidden files. Then edit it to the path of libflashplayer.so (not sure where Ubuntu puts it).

jperez
October 9th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Well, I saw the requirements:

Minimum requirements: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8GHz At least 2.0 GB of RAM Fedora 9, Ubuntu 8.04 or later

It's basically the same for all computers, so since my PC is above the requirements, it's running Hulu Desktop perfectly. Laptop started to, but got laggy and froze often...due I only have a regular Dual Core and 1GB of RAN, so I was pushing it. :lol:

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there.

Hulu is only BETA

Exactly and it's not fully optimized yet. When a non-beta is out, it should be lots better. :)

Jesse~

tjeremiah
October 9th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Open the .huludesktop file in your home folder with any text editor (Gedit, Kwrite, nano, etc.). In order to see it under a file manager, you'll need to set it to show hidden files. Then edit it to the path of libflashplayer.so (not sure where Ubuntu puts it).

I still dont see it. Someone else has the same problem in this thread. Thanks anyway :)

jmszr
October 9th, 2009, 08:22 PM
tjeremiah,

Go to Places > Home Folder > View > Show Hidden Files (Ctrl+H) > .huludesktop
(file not folder) > Flash location > remove(null) > Paste: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so > close it up.

Worked for me, however, the Hulu desktop (full screen) did screw with my theme - nothing a reboot didn't make right, but I think until that bug is fixed I'll just use the website.

Hope that helps.

Edit: By the way, the .huludesktop was pretty far down the list near the bottom.

Idaho Dan
October 9th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Thank you doorknob60!
(editing ~/.huludesktop to tell it /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so fixed it though)
This was just what I needed to get it to work.

Ric_NYC
October 9th, 2009, 09:44 PM
First class application.
Beautiful UI.

keiichidono
October 9th, 2009, 10:12 PM
It would be nice if it was open source. Boxee is open source but can't access Hulu, Hulu desktop isn't open source so I can't fix little papercuts like the flash player problem for other people without getting sued.

tjeremiah
October 9th, 2009, 11:54 PM
tjeremiah,

Go to Places > Home Folder > View > Show Hidden Files (Ctrl+H) > .huludesktop
(file not folder) > Flash location > remove(null) > Paste: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so > close it up.

Worked for me, however, the Hulu desktop (full screen) did screw with my theme - nothing a reboot didn't make right, but I think until that bug is fixed I'll just use the website.

Hope that helps.

Edit: By the way, the .huludesktop was pretty far down the list near the bottom.
trust me, it wasnt there the first time (yes, i went to home and viewed hidden folders). I had to reinstall the hulu again and now I see it. Thanks :).

Warpnow
October 10th, 2009, 04:08 AM
It would be nice if it was open source. Boxee is open source but can't access Hulu, Hulu desktop isn't open source so I can't fix little papercuts like the flash player problem for other people without getting sued.

I don't think you'll get sued for editting a configuration file...

Frak
October 10th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Just wanted to put it out there:

Hulu Desktop won't be any faster in the final version. Unless Adobe pulls something random with the AIR runtime, Hulu desktop won't get any faster.

Newsflash: Hulu Desktop is an Adobe AIR application using the FLEX framework.

keiichidono
October 10th, 2009, 05:08 AM
I don't think you'll get sued for editting a configuration file...

No, not editing the config file for myself. But editing the config file and distributing it for others to use.

Frak
October 10th, 2009, 05:11 AM
No, not editing the config file for myself. But editing the config file and distributing it for others to use.
That's fine. You just cannot distribute the program itself.

magmon
October 10th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Was briefly reading the comments, and it seems alot of you have had issues with the program. Everything works beautifully for me without configuration though. Is everyone here using 9.04?

oboedad55
October 10th, 2009, 06:01 AM
Was briefly reading the comments, and it seems alot of you have had issues with the program. Everything works beautifully for me without configuration though. Is everyone here using 9.04?

I'm actually running it in karmic beta. It runs pretty well on my ancient machine but it maxes out my P-4 processor.

keiichidono
October 10th, 2009, 06:22 AM
That's fine. You just cannot distribute the program itself.
Most of the time I expect my programs to allow me to make changes and redistribute them. :P

I'm on 9.04 X86_64. uname -a: Linux keiichi-desktop 2.6.28-15-generic #52-Ubuntu SMP Wed Sep 9 10:48:52 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

phrostbyte
October 10th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Works great for me, but then again I have a quad-core monster machine of awesomeness. :)

cpu:[ AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor ] mem:[ 706MB used of 5982MB total (1049MB cache) ] hdd:[ ext4 with 1.4TB (1.3TB free) ] gpu:[ nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce 9500 GT] (rev a1) ] distro:[ Ubuntu karmic (development branch) ] kernel:[ 2.6.31-12-generic ]

oboedad55
October 10th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Works great for me, but then again I have a quad-core monster machine of awesomeness. :)

cpu:[ AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor ] mem:[ 706MB used of 5982MB total (1049MB cache) ] hdd:[ ext4 with 1.4TB (1.3TB free) ] gpu:[ nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce 9500 GT] (rev a1) ] distro:[ Ubuntu karmic (development branch) ] kernel:[ 2.6.31-12-generic ]

<Bowing humbly> I am truly jealous!

toupeiro
October 10th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Seems to be working well for me. Important system specs in signature.

hambone79
October 10th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I have been playing around with Hulu desktop since yesterday and I have installed it on 3 separate machines. Here is a run down of the machines:

1. Gateway GM5260 with upgraded Nvidia GT 8600 video card
2. HP xw4600 CAD workstation
3. Acer Aspire One

I am also running Boxee on 1 and 3 and MythTV on 1. Based on my experimenting with these 3 machines I have to give Hulu Desktop a well deserved thumbs down. Once again, here is the run down:

1. On the Gateway machine it is almost usable but it consumes alot of CPU on both cores. It is very sluggish moving between menus and video gets choppy at times.
2. The HP machine runs Hulu Desktop the best, but it should since it's designed to run hardcore CAD software!
3. Running on the Acer Aspire One is an epic fail. Like I said I run Boxee on this netbook and it runs extremely fast and smooth. It can even handle playing MythTV recordings from my Gateway machine over wireless and distplay them on my 37" TV with no problems. With Hulu Desktop, I can barely navigate and viewing videos is impossible.

If they are going to be serious about the Linux release, they need to do some serious optimization.

Jazzy_Jeff
October 11th, 2009, 06:00 AM
I have been playing around with Hulu desktop since yesterday and I have installed it on 3 separate machines. Here is a run down of the machines:

1. Gateway GM5260 with upgraded Nvidia GT 8600 video card
2. HP xw4600 CAD workstation
3. Acer Aspire One

I am also running Boxee on 1 and 3 and MythTV on 1. Based on my experimenting with these 3 machines I have to give Hulu Desktop a well deserved thumbs down. Once again, here is the run down:

1. On the Gateway machine it is almost usable but it consumes alot of CPU on both cores. It is very sluggish moving between menus and video gets choppy at times.
2. The HP machine runs Hulu Desktop the best, but it should since it's designed to run hardcore CAD software!
3. Running on the Acer Aspire One is an epic fail. Like I said I run Boxee on this netbook and it runs extremely fast and smooth. It can even handle playing MythTV recordings from my Gateway machine over wireless and distplay them on my 37" TV with no problems. With Hulu Desktop, I can barely navigate and viewing videos is impossible.

If they are going to be serious about the Linux release, they need to do some serious optimization.

Hulu Desktop runs great on my machine. Make sure you read the minimum system specs for it to work. Also if you are running the 64 bit version, some people seem to be having some trouble with it. Not Hulu's fault. Contact Adobe.

Minimum requirements: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8GHz At least 2.0 GB of RAM Fedora 9, Ubuntu 8.04 or later

hambone79
October 12th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Hulu Desktop runs great on my machine. Make sure you read the minimum system specs for it to work. Also if you are running the 64 bit version, some people seem to be having some trouble with it. Not Hulu's fault. Contact Adobe.

I just think it is ridiculous that the best machine to run it on is my HP xw4600. This machine has a 3.33 GHz Core 2 duo, 8GB of RAM, and an Nvidia Quadro NVS 295 video card. I use it in my day job to run Pro/Engineer Wildfire 5.0, Unigraphics 6.0, MathCAD, and Matlab. It is capable of opening and modifying a detailed 3D model of a piece of construction equipment without issues, but it struggles to run Hulu Desktop.

I don't think you can blame this entirely on Adobe Air...the application obviously needs some optimizations.

Frak
October 12th, 2009, 12:49 AM
I just think it is ridiculous that the best machine to run it on is my HP xw4600. This machine has a 3.33 GHz Core 2 duo, 8GB of RAM, and an Nvidia Quadro NVS 295 video card. I use it in my day job to run Pro/Engineer Wildfire 5.0, Unigraphics 6.0, MathCAD, and Matlab. It is capable of opening and modifying a detailed 3D model of a piece of construction equipment without issues, but it struggles to run Hulu Desktop.

I don't think you can blame this entirely on Adobe Air...the application obviously needs some optimizations.
I never really got around to voicing my opinion on how Hulu Desktop feels thrown together with a fancy interface.

Dimitriid
October 12th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Americans have it on tv and it region blocks anyone else: its pointless. If americans want me to use piratebay instead of watching their adds or region-target the adds then thats fine by me.

madhi19
October 12th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Americans have it on tv and it region blocks anyone else: its pointless. If americans want me to use piratebay instead of watching their adds or region-target the adds then thats fine by me.

Yeah am in the same boat another thing that Canadian are waiting for like the Kindle, the psn video store and god knows what else (Free Trade my a...)! Well my crappy ISP package would probably not have let me enjoy it much anyway got to watch the bandwidth.

yabbadabbadont
October 12th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Yeah am in the same boat another thing that Canadian are waiting for like the Kindle, the psn video store and god knows what else (Free Trade my a...)! Well my crappy ISP package would probably not have let me enjoy it much anyway got to watch the bandwidth.

On the other hand, the Canadians are getting to see the remaining episodes of Defying Gravity while we here in the US have to... resort to other means. ;)

(OK, one show doesn't really balance it out, I know. :D)

Warpnow
October 12th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Stargate episodes used to air early in canada.

That -does- balance it out.

Stargate was better than the history of television.

kpholmes
October 12th, 2009, 07:39 AM
it seems as if my isp throttles hulu traffic.

but once the internet neutrality bill gets passed.....

starcannon
October 13th, 2009, 11:44 AM
I think I like it. Hulu may have just killed my need for a separate media subscription.

This is excellent.

Yeah, I know I could have always watched it using the website, but a remote is a wonderful and useful thing. I've got an extra pc here that used to be a gaming pc, it should be more than capable of handling Hulu.

Thanks for the headsup, and I'll have to write a thankyou to Hulu for being considerate of the Linux consumers.

Cheers!

Twitch6000
October 13th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Will you be supporting other Linux distributions?
Over time we hope to expand the set of supported Linux distributions. You can let us know your preference by posting on the Hulu Desktop discussion forum.

Thats good to know =].

I hope they make a static binary aswell <.<.

Thelasko
October 16th, 2009, 07:40 PM
It appears Hulu has released a new version of Hulu desktop that has a few bugs fixed. The screensaver is now disabled while watching full screen video and it's much quicker.

It still needs some work on displaying full screen video without tearing, but I think that's Adobe's problem.

Groucho Marxist
October 17th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Make sure you have all updates installed on Karmic. That bug was fixed a while ago.

It's working perfectly for me; just viewed the trailer for Toy Story 3

AgentZ86
October 20th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Hi

I had to edit my file to point to :
/usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so

Just FYI I'm using old 8.04 ubuntu 32bit, but works well, now

Slug71
May 30th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Is Hulu Desktop allowed to be installed as default and distributed with an OS? I have a custom installation with it installed and i want to make a ISO of it using remastersys but dont want to do it with that installed if not allowed just incase i install it on some elses PC.