PDA

View Full Version : Many of the Ubuntu users don't know KDE

praveesh
October 9th, 2009, 04:09 AM
I could find a few Ubuntu users nearby . It was a surprise to me that none of them have heard of the KDE ,before.
Hmm , that's not a big surprise, my pc had fedora preinstalled in it with kde (I told the hardware vendor to install linux. I didn't know about different distributions other than the name linux). Other wise , I too would be included in the previous group.

RichardLinx
October 9th, 2009, 04:17 AM
It's a little sad isn't it? Thanks to modern distro's like Ubuntu, Mint, openSUSE and Fedora, being a Linux user no longer means you're exceptionally good with computers and that you like to tinker around.
I'm pretty sure many people don't even know Ubuntu is Linux or that there are other versions of Linux besides Ubuntu. It's the price that comes with becoming user friendly.

joey-elijah
October 9th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Hmm...

I don't think it's that big of a deal if grandma doesn't know about LXDE or XFCE or KDE... she probably just wants something that works and hey presto! What she found does.

Had she been using Suse from the get-go she might not know about Gnome...

hoppipolla
October 9th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Yeah I think a fair few don't, although most of the people I have met on here seem to have heard of it and quite a few use it :)

I think the biggest problem I have come across though is misconception of KDE, as quite a few people seem to think it's still a lot like it was at KDE 4.0 or 4.1, which isn't the case.

I think awareness of it is increasing though :)

joey-elijah
October 9th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Yeah I think a fair few don't, although most of the people I have met on here seem to have heard of it and quite a few use it :)

I think the biggest problem I have come across though is misconception of KDE, as quite a few people seem to think it's still a lot like it was at KDE 4.0 or 4.1, which isn't the case.

I used to dislike KDE severely - i was new to Linux in general and whilst gnome was simple and straight forward KDE 4.0 confused the bejesuzz out of me.

KDE 4.3 - Ahhhh, now we're talking!

Crunchy the Headcrab
October 9th, 2009, 05:11 AM

Really? I didn't find anything that different in any of the recent KDE releases. I mean...I can say the same thing about Gnome, but I actually like Gnome, so it's not a problem for me. Yes I have used KDE 4.3.

lisati
October 9th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Ah, I have a Kubuntu live CD floating around somewhere. Must get round to using it some day soon.

joey-elijah
October 9th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Really? I didn't find anything that different in any of the recent KDE releases. I mean...I can say the same thing about Gnome, but I actually like Gnome, so it's not a problem for me. Yes I have used KDE 4.3.

KDE 4.3 is, usability wise, a different kettle of fish to 4.0. It may look the same but BOY has it been refined and nurtured. (And the system settings panel is understandable - yay for us poor gnome-breds!)

hoppipolla
October 9th, 2009, 05:28 AM
KDE 4.3 is, usability wise, a different kettle of fish to 4.0. It may look the same but BOY has it been refined and nurtured. (And the system settings panel is understandable - yay for us poor gnome-breds!)

Yeah totally, it's a much more refined, friendly, stable and visually impressive desktop now. I think with a little bit more work, it will be at standards high enough to compete with commercial alternatives AND still provide flexibility and control surpassing that of KDE 3.x! It's going to be rather special :)

joey-elijah
October 9th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Yeah totally, it's a much more refined, friendly, stable and visually impressive desktop now. I think with a little bit more work, it will be at standards high enough to compete with commercial alternatives AND still provide flexibility and control surpassing that of KDE 3.x! It's going to be rather special :)

Once word sums up the awesomeness of 4.3. That word is 'Air'.

hoppipolla
October 9th, 2009, 05:40 AM

Well, yes the Air theme is nice as well! lol :)

There have been many improvements though!

Tipped OuT
October 9th, 2009, 05:54 AM

Yes, Air is the one theme that I actually love 100%. Nothing seems to be better then it. They did a good job.

OpenGuard
October 9th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Why it's such a suprise ? Ubuntu means Gnome, in terms of what new users receive when they go to Ubuntu's website and download the latest release. No one has a chance to choose between Gnome, KDE and XFCE when they are downloading their adventure. If there would be an option to select one from various DE's, people would at least search Google for some screenshots, not just use what they got.

praveesh
October 9th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Yes, Air is the one theme that I actually love 100%. Nothing seems to be better then it. They did a good job.

I don't like the air 100% . The look of the kicker and lancelot menu doesn't meet my taste.

praveesh
October 9th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Why it's such a suprise ? Ubuntu means Gnome, in terms of what new users receive when they go to Ubuntu's website and download the latest release. No one has a chance to choose between Gnome, KDE and XFCE when they are downloading their adventure. If there would be an option to select one from various DE's, people would at least search Google for some screenshots, not just use what they got.

That's the advantage of being official.

~sHyLoCk~
October 9th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I am loving my 4.3.2 :KS

It's a snap of 4.3.1 though but same look.

XubuRoxMySox
October 9th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I was two months into Ubuntu from Windows before I thought of giving KDE a try. Kubuntu (9.04) was reeeeeeally slow compared to Ubuntu, and it was not a little confusing. But I kept reading that Kubuntu was "bad implementation" of KDE, so to really judge KDE fairly one had to try it other than in Kubuntu or "kubuntu-desktop."

So I played with PCLinuxOS because a friend raves about how awesome it is. On his computer, yeah maybe. But on my older Dell Dimension, PCLOS had all kindsa hardware issues that were never a problem in Ubuntu. KDE was a little faster and easier in PCLOS than in Kubuntu, but all the K-apps are a little confusing at first. It looked like "AOL for Linux" or something with proprietary everything...

I did try them all and I have a few favorites, like K3b, that I find far superior to their Gnome counterparts on my machine. It was a fun experiment, and I might have stuck with KDE if not for the very slow speed on my older hardware and the "bad implementation of KDE" in Kubuntu or the hardware issues with PCLOS.

I settled on something that looks kinda like KDE, only it's lightning fast on my old 'puter and lighter even than Xfce. I found it Googling "Lightweight desktop environments" and tried it out, quickly becoming a fanboy.

-Robin

praveesh
October 9th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I was two months into Ubuntu from Windows before I thought of giving KDE a try. Kubuntu (9.04) was reeeeeeally slow compared to Ubuntu, and it was not a little confusing. But I kept reading that Kubuntu was "bad implementation" of KDE, so to really judge KDE fairly one had to try it other than in Kubuntu or "kubuntu-desktop."

So I played with PCLinuxOS because a friend raves about how awesome it is. On his computer, yeah maybe. But on my older Dell Dimension, PCLOS had all kindsa hardware issues that were never a problem in Ubuntu. KDE was a little faster and easier in PCLOS than in Kubuntu, but all the K-apps are a little confusing at first. It looked like "AOL for Linux" or something with proprietary everything...

I did try them all and I have a few favorites, like K3b, that I find far superior to their Gnome counterparts on my machine. It was a fun experiment, and I might have stuck with KDE if not for the very slow speed on my older hardware and the "bad implementation of KDE" in Kubuntu or the hardware issues with PCLOS.

I settled on something that looks kinda like KDE, only it's lightning fast on my old 'puter and lighter even than Xfce. I found it Googling "Lightweight desktop environments" and tried it out, quickly becoming a fanboy.

-Robin

. The KDE implementation of OpenSUSE and Mandriva are good (I haven't try mandriva but the opensuse was really nice ) . If you are interested, you may try . I haven't hear someone saying "the kde implementation of pclinuxos is good "

praveesh
October 9th, 2009, 12:46 PM

-Robin

The lxde is nice , but I couldn't find how it looks similar to the Kde

Danny Dubya
October 9th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Why don't you try a distro other than an Ubuntu fork. Pclinuxos is an Ubuntu fork . The KDE implementation of OpenSUSE and Mandriva are good (I haven't try mandriva but the opensuse was really nice )
Uh... you say "try Mandriva instead of PCLinuxOS", but PCLinuxOS is a fork of Mandriva, not Ubuntu. So it may potentially give that guy the same hardware issues PCLOS gave him.

EDIT : Okay, maybe not. Sounds like the fork was three years ago? Either way, def. not a stepchild of Ubuntu.

Although it retains a similar "look and feel" to Mandriva Linux, PCLinuxOS has diverged significantly. The code was officially forked from Mandrake 9.2 into an independent project in 2003. After three years of contiguous development, the developers took advantage of further development in [the renamed] Mandriva, and forked the code again late in 2006 for PCLinuxOS 2007.

Agreed on, and can personally vouch for the solidness of openSUSE's KDE.

Boom!!!
October 9th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I used to dislike KDE severely - i was new to Linux in general and whilst gnome was simple and straight forward KDE 4.0 confused the bejesuzz out of me.

KDE 4.3 - Ahhhh, now we're talking!

I agree, 4.3 is a dream.

I first started on Linux AROUND 2002 (Mandrake) Gnome and used that up until about a month ago,:P

Boom!!!
October 9th, 2009, 01:24 PM

:P
Have you had time to test out Karmic from iso, because even the installer is Air, reason I

ask is I know you are on a rented atm.

praveesh
October 9th, 2009, 01:33 PM
:P
Have you had time to test out Karmic from iso, because even the installer is Air, reason I

ask is I know you are on a rented atm.

Is it? Wow wonderful . But I haven't try . Can you please post any screenshot ?

Warpnow
October 9th, 2009, 06:37 PM
...Why would they need to know about KDE?

Chances are they wouldn't care. I doubt they know about different shells or terminal emulators, either, but they wouldn't care about those either.

KDE is easy to figure out about. If they expiriment at all with themes they will eventually come across a KDE one. If they haven't expirimented with themes, they probably don't give a **** what their desktop looks like, and thus would not like KDE.

Mighty_Joe
October 9th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Kubuntu (9.04) was reeeeeeally slow compared to Ubuntu, and it was not a little confusing.

I'm a long time KDE user and I'm disappointed in Kubuntu. Things that "Just Work" with Ubuntu are broken on the Kubuntu side. I think Kubuntu is slow as well. Getting Java and Flash to work took a few hours of fiddling. There was a time that I'd just grin and bear it (heck, there was a time I ran Gentoo!), but I don't have the free time now-a-days, so back to Ubuntu I go.