PDA

View Full Version : Is there truth to the rumor that the I-Phone is moving to Verizon in 2010?

kevdog
October 9th, 2009, 03:58 AM
I've heard multiple rumors that Apple will switch from ATT to Verizon once the contract is over in 2010. Is there any validity to these rumors?

SomeGuyDude
October 9th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Seems Android phones are more likely than the iPhone. Which is good for us.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9139149/Verizon_iPhone_deal_less_likely_after_Google_move_ IDC_says

tgalati4
October 9th, 2009, 04:13 AM
We can only hope. This way the nokia n900 has a chance on the ATT network.

kevdog
October 9th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Not holding out much hope right now for the android phones over the Iphone in terms of functionality -- but I guess time will either prove me right or wrong on this speculative guess.

jeremyswalker
October 9th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Not holding out much hope right now for the android phones over the Iphone in terms of functionality -- but I guess time will either prove me right or wrong on this speculative guess.

I don't know about this. It seems that nearly every major carrier has plans to rollout multiple Android phones in the near future. With such an increased user base, I predict functionality to surpass that of the iPhone. Just a guess, of course.

tubezninja
October 9th, 2009, 04:52 AM
I've heard multiple rumors that Apple will switch from ATT to Verizon once the contract is over in 2010. Is there any validity to these rumors?

First off, if it does happen, it won't be a "switch." Since an overwhelming majority of the worlds cellular networks use GSM/UMTS/HSPA, it makes zero sense for Apple to stop making iPhones for AT&T (which uses GSM/UMTS/HSPA), and instead sell only iPhones for Verizon (which uses CDMA, a far less-globally-common standard) in the US.

What would have to end up happening - IF this happened - would be that Apple would begin constructing a version of the iPhone that contains an additional chipset to support CDMA, so that the same phones can operate on either system interchangeably. But, they have significant hurdles to overcome: adding more components to a internally cramped, compact form factor, dealing with the increased power consumption, and dealing with the additional patent licensing issues that CDMA brings with it.

A more likely possibility would be that Apple develops a version of the iPhone that is LTE compatible, which is supposed to be the next generation of cellular technology that both AT&T and Verizon plan to migrate to over time (along with many of the world's GSM networks). This solves the problem nicely, because ti's what the iPhone will have to evolve to over time anyway.

In practice though, I don't see LTE being completely ready for 2010, neither on Verizon nor AT&T. I think 2011 is more likely.