PDA

View Full Version : whoa! when did this happen?

super
February 12th, 2006, 04:28 AM
this evening i had some free time, so i said 'screw it! i'm gonna tackle the job of getting my wireless working?'

i am running dapper flight three and i have a linksys wireless usb adapter. so i apt-get'ted ndiswrapper+gui, downloaded linksys-wlan source drivers and figured i was ready to give it a shot.

guess what? i plugged the usb cable in, and it worked! :-D it actually work straight out of the box! :-D the only thing i needed to do was enter my ssid in the network manager. it was as simple as setting up a regular ethernet connection. i'm still in shock!

my name is super, and today i witnessed a miracle! :p

fuscia
February 12th, 2006, 04:58 AM
when it works, it works.

bonzodog
February 12th, 2006, 01:26 PM
yup dapper has some good things configured OOB. Most wireless it seems will work.
Dapper is a big step forward from Breezy and there have been some significant changes in the back end (Init system has been altered, doesn't use hotplug anymore, just ivman+hal). We now have Xorg 7.0.0, the latest nvidia drivers, Gnome 2.13.9, Tango icons (they're sweet), Firefox 1.5.0.1. It is already more stable and faster than breezy ever was, but it does appear that it's more trouble to use ATI hardware under dapper than it was in Breezy. This appears to be happening in other distro's as well - seems ATI support in linux is falling by the wayside in favour of nvidia. Luckily my system is ALL nvidia - sound, GPU, network, nforce 3 chipset. So, i am very happy with it. I would say it will be safe to do a full dist-upgrade when dapper gets to UI freeze in march - it has undergone a lot of changes in that respect.
Flight 4 it seems will be out 23rd Feb at Feature freeze stage.

Derek Djons
February 12th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Great news.
Maybe if there's no guide around yet on Ubuntu you could make one taking the credits for it ;)